UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. For every child …,The UNICEF Programme in Cooperation with the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) is designed to address and mitigate the triple threat of poverty the country’s children face, while responding to the needs with interventions addressing the multiple causative factors. In response to the combination these threats involve the Programme supports national efforts to improve service delivery in the key areas of: child health and nutrition and HIV and AIDS, quality basic education, water, sanitation and hygiene education, child protection and social policy, advocacy and communication. Education Officer, (NO-2), TA (For 364 Days), Lusaka, Zambia, (For Zambians Only) – Readvertised.
- The Education officer will have the following roles and responsibilities: The overall purpose of the Education Officer (TA) is to support the UNICEF Education team to effectively plan, implement and manage the education programme by working with Government, UN agencies and other development partners and NGO counterparts in the area of Equity in education, including through capacity building and the strengthening of cross-sectoral linkages
- The ultimate goal is to ensure that all Zambian young people have access to pre-primary, primary, and secondary education, and can complete a full cycle of secondary education, and that out-of-school children are reached with opportunity to re-enter the formal schooling system or gain access to skills development
Programme Planning, Development and Management
- Support the planning, implementation and management of UNICEF assisted programmes by working with Government, UN and other development partners and NGO counterparts in the areas of Equity in education programming
- Particular focus will be on supporting implementation of evidence based initiatives and learning opportunities for out of school children and promoting civic engagement, student governance, leadership initiatives and career development, particularly among adolescent girls with the technical and financial support of UNICEF
- Support evidence generation of the situation of marginalized groups and ensure evidence-based responses to situational analysis, both by UNICEF and partners
- Support updates on the OOSC study and other reports and studies
- Ensure efficient, disaggregated and timely data gathering, utilization and evidence-based decision-making and programming
Programme Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting
- Undertake field visits to monitor programmes, as well as conduct periodic Programme reviews with Government and NGO counterparts and other partners
- Propose and/or undertake action on operational procedures affecting project implementation and management.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programme. Prepare programme/project status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring
- Participate in the development of the annual education work plans and budgets. Prepare programme/project status reports required for management and donors, including budgetary reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc
- Analyse collected data and information and prepare progress reports including monitoring and reporting indicators, including by gender
UNICEF and Government Accountability
- Enhance project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation and follow-up activities with various implementing partners, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply assistance and education project status
- Ensure adherence to UNICEF HACT and other assurance activities
- Ensure the appropriateness, timeliness and accuracy of financial, administrative and supply documentation from partners.
- Support with programmatic reviews with Government and other counterparts and partners
Communication and Networking
- Support with communications materials and briefings to UNICEF management teams, donors and partners
- Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration with all stakeholders
- Support coordination with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information and programming relating to Education sector
- Support coordination activities amongst partners, including through the ‘Delivering As One’ approach
- An advanced degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education, Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, or a field(s) relevant to international development assistance
- Two years of professional work experience at national and international levels relevant to Education programmes
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset
- Proven experience working with education-related data is highly recommended
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation especially with programming related to marginalized children especially girls, and Children with Special Education Needs is highly desirable
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset
- For every Child, you demonstrate…
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply
How to apply
Send your applications to the link below:
For more information
Never miss a job opportunity again. Get the latest jobs sent to your inbox.