ControLab offers professional civil engineering and environmental services to contractors, consultancies and government entities in Zambia. The company carries out civil engineering materials testing, offering a full range of testing of soils, aggregates, bitumen, asphalt and concrete, as well as geotechnical investigations for roads and buildings. Controlab also helps clients identify and minimise risk by ensuring compliance with legislation on environmental issues, and occupational health and safety.
Civil engineering testing in Lusaka, Zambia
- A full range of testing services of soils, aggregates, bitumen, asphalt and concrete
- Carries out geotechnical investigations for roads, pits, buildings and structures
- Caters for the civil, geotechnical and structural engineering fraternity
Operating in South Africa since 1990, and now in Zambia, ControLab has earned a reputation as a specialist in its field. ControLab normally operates out of their purpose-built laboratory on Martin Mwamba Road, Manda Hill in Lusaka, but the company can set up field laboratories across Zambia.
ControLab achieved SANAS accreditation (ISO/IEC 17025) in 2008. The tests for which ControLab has been accredited include the following
- Sieve analysis to 75 microns and Atterberg limits
- MOD AASHTO moisture density relationship
- Unconfined compressive strength (curing and crushing)
- Indirect tensile strength (compacting, curing, crushing)
- Compaction control – sand replacement
- Compaction control – nuclear gauge
- Aggregate crushing value
- 10% fine aggregate crushing value (FACT)
- Flakiness index
- Sieve analysis of coarse aggregates
- Sieve analysis of fine aggregates
- Bulk density of coarse and fine aggregates
- Relative density
- Manufacturing, curing and compressive strength (concrete cubes)
- Slump test
- Marshall stability and flow on briquettes supplied
- Asphalt bulk relative density
- Indirect tensile strength asphalt
- Maximum theoretical relative density (Rice’s method)
- Binder content
ControLab is run by experienced materials engineers, geotechnical engineers and quality assurance experts. In order to perform laboratory testing to the highest standard, ControLab employs a number of supporting personnel such as materials technologists, laboratory managers, senior materials technicians, materials testers, technical assistants and laboratory assistants. Staff are required to complete the testers’ courses offered by the South African Society for Asphalt Technology. These are run from ControLab’s premises in South Africa.
Corporate Social Responsibility
ControLab supports poverty alleviation projects such as low cost housing developments whenever possible. They do this by offering free technical advice and testing.
Engineering services in Lusaka, Zambia
- Prepares health and safety documents tailor-made to clients’ requirements
- Helps its clients manage projects which impact the environment
- Experienced environmental consultants and health and safety professionals
As a Lusaka-based consultancy specialising in occupational health and safety and environmental issues, ControLab’s services consist of:
- Occupational health and safety management
ControLab prepares health and safety documents tailor-made to clients’ requirements. Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Audits and Inspections carried out by ControLab will ensure compliance with approved health and safety manuals and other relevant documents. Regular audits can then be performed based on this approved documentation. The company can also provide training for first aid, fire fighting and other related topics.
- Environmental management
ControLab helps its clients manage projects which impact the environment, ensuring they comply with current environmental legislation. It carries out Environmental Impact Assessments, pre-feasibility and strategic Environmental Assessments and Environmental Audits. It is experienced in managing the public participation aspect of the Environmental Impact Assessment process. The company also prepares Environmental Management Programme reports and advises on Environmental Management planning.
ControLab is totally committed to maintaining the highest standards in its work. It employs relevant specialists in Lusaka and has an expert parent company in South Africa. Key personnel are supported by a number of experienced environmental consultants and health and safety professionals.
ControLab supports local communities by providing complimentary advice to particular poverty alleviation projects.