Save the Children aims to be a place where world class people of diverse backgrounds work together to support to improve the lives of children. We also need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. When you are applying for a role with us, please ensure that you provide us with details of your work experience and some detail around your responsibilities within each role. All jobs close at midnight GMT on the date specified.
Reports to: Director of Programme Operations
Grade: 3 Contract Length: up to five (5) months
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff
• The Refugee Programming Coordinator will manage the design and implementation of Education and Child Protection programmatic and operational activities in the Nchelenge and Chiengi field location in Zambia
• Refugees from DRC have been entering into northern Zambia at an increasing rate and the CO has decided to categorize and respond. The Refugee Programming Coordinator will report to the Director of Programme Operations and support the development and initial delivery of response activities, attend local coordination mechanisms, built a response team, work as Safety and Security Focal Point in Nchelenge, and support proposal development in coordination with the Country Office.
Key Areas Of Accountability
• Lead on setting up project / field site
• Manage the design and implementation of Education and Child Protection programme and operational activities in northern/Luapula province of Zambia
• Manage implementation of award portfolio, ensuring that projects and reports are delivered according to SC and donor contractual requirements, within the agreed timescale and budget.
• Support the development of a response strategy and lead on proposal writing
• Develop and manage relevant multi-sector and multi-site budgets, as needed, ensuring proper authorisation and monitoring expenditure in line with SC and donor budgets, award management and financial guidelines, preparing budget plans, supervising variance analysis reports, and managing all sub-budget holders and sub award recipients.
• Oversee multi agency coordination at field base level and in coordination with the Country Office in Lusaka.
• Prepare and oversee programme implementation to ensure timely delivery of programme activities.
• Implement effective safety and security procedures for the field base, ensuring staff compliance and that new programmes are built around security considerations
• Manage logistics processes to procure, store and distribute stock, supplies and services for the timely delivery of project objectives within the field base
• Develop and implement participatory assessment to contribute to programme planning and MEAL processes
• Manage and motivate field base staff to perform highly in their respective roles and responsibilities. This will include leading on staffing structure, recruitment, performance management and implementing staff welfare policy
• To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter.
• Identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
• Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and take a leadership role within Interagency Coordination forums, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed
• Contribute to communications and media work., representing the organisation at field level to media, local government and other fora as required
• Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
Competencies For This Role:
• Delivering results
• Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for
• children, continually improving their own performance or that of the team/ organisation.
• Level required: Skilled
• Innovating and adapting
• Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in ever-changing and
• uncertain global and working environments.
• Level required: Skilled
• Problem solving and Decision Making
• Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information
• from within or outside the organisation.
• Level required: Skilled
• Degree in Education, Social Sciences or any relevant qualification,
• Significant relevant experience of working in the in-country humanitarian teams/programmes and/or being deployed to humanitarian responses in other countries
• Demonstrable understanding of education system and Child protection trends in Zambia a plus,
• Previous experience in Safety and Security management skills a must,
• Previous experience of managing a team
• Previous experience of programme and project management
• Demonstrable project budget management experience
• Management experience of single site and multi-sector programme
• Experience of identifying education and child protection advocacy issues at field level, or supporting efforts at national level
• Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
• Excellent communication skills
• Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
• A high level of written and spoken English
• The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
• Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
• Multi-site management experience
• Experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability
• Experience of local level co-ordination with key stakeholders and other NGOs
• Fluent in French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic
How to apply
Send your details to the link below: