Barrick Lumwana Mining Company Ltd (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Cranes and Lifting Supervisor:
Reporting to the Maintenance Services Superintendent, you will coordinate all rigging services to production and maintenance departments and manage and ensure adherence to statutory compliance and LMC lifting policies.
Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
• Responsible for all statutory test loads every 12 months for all cranes, overhead cranes and lifting equipment.
• Responsible for all examination, certification, repair and inspection of all lifting equipment at LMC.
• Manage the activities of all crane drivers and riggers on site.
• Champion critical standards for cranes and lifting.
• Procurement of stock and non stock intrinsically safe lifting equipment.
• The custodian of all lifting equipment and machinery registers.
• Identify opportunities for continuous improving of processes and systems.
• Monitor equipment performance to identify opportunities to improve uptime and maximise the performance of the assets.
• Implement and maintain safe work procedures and promote high safety and health awareness. Promote and comply with the LMC Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
• Be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the team.
• Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention and the achievement of tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner.
• Manage the budget for the function.
• Ensure the development and maintenance of up to date job procedures for all tasks performed within the function.
• Develop objectives for sharing common infrastructure and support services across Barrick and cascade this throughout function.
• Ensure effective communication with delegate prior to departure from site.
• Be visible in the workplace
• Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the MOS Elements to the specified quality and timelines as assigned to this role
• Manage business partner’s such as the scaffolding service provider
• Custodian of all rigging appliance and crane registers for in use, out of service and discarded gear etc
• Carrying out additional tasks that may be assigned from time to time by the Supervisor.
• Significant experience (10 years) in Heavy Earthmoving Equipment maintenance as a Rigger.
• Craft / Advanced Certificate in Rigging
• Supervisory experience
• Experience in large multi pit operations utilising large scale mining equipment.
• Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driverslicence or be able to obtain one.
• Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English and show a commitment to understand local culture and impart your mining operations and technical knowledge to the local Zambian mine operations personnel.
• Competent in incident/accident investigation
• Commitment to training of Zambian national citizens
• Physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination
• Hold a valid driver’s licence
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks
How to apply
Send your applications to the link below: