Zambart is a research-focused non-governmental organisation that conducts research on HIV and Tuberculosis to help control and mitigate the impact of the dual epidemic. Zambart staff form an interdisciplinary team with a range of expertise including epidemiology, clinical science, social science, laboratory, operations research, health systems and services research, health policy analysis, health economics, health communication research compliance and counselling. Zambart under the TREATS study has vacancies in the following positions: Zambart is seeking the services of a Laboratory Accreditation Manager to be stationed at Zambart Central Laboratory – Lusaka, Zambia, to support the development of quality assurance laboratory services for the diagnosis and management of TB and HIV, and the implementation of various studies including TB prevalence surveys, testing for host and /or pathogen related TB biomarkers, Quantiferon-TB Gold testing as well as HIV testing. This will include:
TREATs Study Summary
The overall aim of TREATS project is to measure the impact of a combined TB/HIV intervention of population level screening for TB, combined with universal testing and treatment (UTT) for HIV, delivered over 4 years, on TB incidence, prevalence of TB disease and incidence of TB infection.
• Spearhead the international accreditation for the Zambart TB and Serology Laboratories
• Develop an action plan for extension of the scope of accreditation
• Ensure that all regulatory standards are in place adhered to at all times and that the studies are conducted in accordance with GCP.
• Develop a Training Manual for the training of TB Laboratory personnel in all TB procedures and assays, including but not limited to: culture, drug susceptibility testing (phenotypic and genotypic), Xpert, line-probe assays, and interferon gamma-release assays.
• Develop SOPs for Laboratory staff to ensure adherence to international biosafety standards
• Provide advice and build the capacity of staff in the use of an appropriate TB laboratory information system
• Evaluate and provide advice on the diagnostic tools, e.g.: MGIT960 for TB culture and drug susceptibility testing; PCR testing for rapid diagnosis of MDR-TB; Line Probe Assay; GeneXpert
• Develop /Strengthen the quality control system and laboratory network
• Implement, maintain and strengthen management of laboratory Quality Assurance Systems
• Undertake any other tasks that the PI shall reasonably require from time to time.
• Must have a minimum of an MSc in microbiology or a related field, with preference given to candidates with a PhD or MD in health related sciences
• Demonstrated experience leading a successful laboratory accreditation effort in a resource-limited setting
• Must have worked in a medical diagnostic laboratory as manager for a period of at least five years, specifically in TB diagnostic and culture laboratory.
• Good scientific and clinical trial acknowledge, On-site monitoring experience, good communication skills,
• Should have experience using medium and MGIT960 for TB culture and DST;
• Experience in mycobacterial typing using different techniques
How to apply
Submit your application letter, CV and certificates to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Zambart Head Office,
UNZA School of Medicine,
PO Box 50697,