Barrick Lumwana Mining Company Ltd (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Technical Advisor – Production:
• Reporting to the Principal Technical Advisor – Mining Production, you will be responsible for ensuring that the Mining Coordinators and Shift Supervisors are supported and advised in the highest operating standards of LMC open pit mining operation.
Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
• Ability to develop, coordinate and review the mining operational plan
• Quality control of all mining supervisor functions. ( i.e. safety inspections and work place standards)
• Technical, operational advice and the mentoring of the Mining Coordinators and Shift Supervisors.
• Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all personnel including contractors working within the mining area during shift.
• Understand production and cost targets in conjunction with the daily, weekly and monthly mining plans that correspond with the yearly production target.
• Carry out workplace inspections and monitor employees and contractors in their tasks.
• Recommend improvements to safe operating procedures
• Develop continuous improvement strategies, communicate and apply accordingly.
• Recommend that authorised job specific training and coaching is provided to supervisors as part of the company training plan.
• Accountable for ensuring coordinators and supervisors are adequately advised and supported with information to enable the immediate work area to be managed appropriately in accordance with the governing statutory requirements.
• Develop, implement and maintain safe work procedures and promote high safety and health awareness.Promote and comply with the LMC Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
• Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention and the achievement of tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner.
• Ensure the development and maintenance of up to date job procedures for all tasks performed within the function.
• Develop objectives for sharing common infrastructure and support services across Barrick and cascade this throughout function.
• Diploma in Mining Engineering
• 10 years’ experience in the open pit mining industry with the majority of time spent in the fleet management environment.
• Experience in large multi pit operations utilizing large scale mining equipment i.e. electric/diesel (AC) driven 240t dump trucks, 500t excavators and face shovels is essential
• Competent in incident/accident investigation
• Experience in managing costs and budgeting
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
• Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks
How to apply
Send your applications to the link below: