The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
• The World Food Programme is currently seeking to fill an internship position under the WFP Communications Unit of the Zambia Country Office.
• The position will be based at our head office in Lusaka, Zambia.
• The Internship will be for an initial period of four months starting from 1st April 2018.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
• Reporting to the Communications Associate, the Communications Intern will undertake the following tasks.
• Participate in field missions to gather information, videos and still photo footage
• Create a photo library with captions
• Prepare communications materials including media briefs, speeches, newsletters, articles to be published on WFP website and other media platforms.
• Stay current with WFP operations, policies and pertinent, analyze the social, economic and political events the affect WFP activities.
• Support Joint UN communications activities and represent WFP in the UN Communications Group activities as an alternate.
• Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals and activities, especially in line with communication.
• Perform other tasks as required
Desired Experiences for Entry Into the Role
• High level of quality photography skills and photojournalism experience.
• Excellent graphic designing skills with knowledge on the use of modern creative software programmes.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Concise and strong design and creative skills
• Time management skills; ability to multi-task within a deadline-driven environment - while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
Standard Minimum Qualifications
• Currently enrolled and have attended University courses in the last 12 months inclusive of having completed at least two years of undergraduate studies or have recently graduated in the last 6 months’ in Communication, Journalism, Development Studies or Media relations;
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point);
• Fluent in English
Terms and Conditions
• Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
• WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
• Depending on the duty station of assignment, WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
• WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education
How to apply
Submit your CV and application to: