First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do. In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents. With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
• A Tertiary Qualification in Extractive Metallurgy, Mineral Processing, Control systems or related;
• Eligibility for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ) and to hold legal appointment as defined by the Mining Regulations f Zambia.
Core Specific Responsibilities:
• Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations;
• Maintain HSE standards for self and team; including toolbox talk, planned tasks observation, “Stop, Think and Coach”, hazard identification and reporting etc;
• Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly;
• The physical equipment responsibilities of the Process Control Team, of which some will be allocated to the
Process Control Engineer consist of but not limited to:
• On- stream Analyser calibration and maintenance
• Sampling system operation and optimization
• Particle Size Analyser calibration and maintenance
• Conveyor cameras calibration and maintenance
• Flotation cell cameras calibration and maintenance
• Assist the Control Room operators to maximize their utilization and performance in using the PCS7 plant control system (DCS);
• Creation, Modification and Update of Control Room specific dashboards;
• Manage and optimize the downtime reporting system;
• Provide and analyse operating and downtime data as per requirments for others and for self.
• Develop, expand and tunethe installed SGS expert system;
• Ensure the control room team operates the plant ‘expert’ control system, maintaining high utilization;
• Assist in the Continuous Improvement philosophy of the Process team;
• Provide the Pocess interface support to the software engineer with regards to DCS, including but not limited to control loop tuning, alarm management ect.
• Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI’s of plant throughput, utilization and recovery;
• Monitor, control and report on performance indicators, plant activities and operational shorfalls;
• Ensure the control room team operaties the critical in line instrumentation & measuremets (ie PSI & OSA), for real-time performance optimization;
• Ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions;
• Lead work with the FQM Way culture in the Control Room team- “Smarter, Bolder, Driven”
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief Process Control Engineer.
• Strong commitment to SHEC performance;
• Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability;
• Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans;
• Possess ability to analyse and understand complex metallurgical information;
• Strong understanding of metallurgical process improvement and control strategies;
• Possess the management discipline and perseverance to develop and implement medium to long term plans;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to assemble data and provide clear and curate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
• Ability to maintain self- discipline within a stressful environment;
• Displays strong initiative and spirit for continuous improvement;
• Be diligent and thorough in approach;
• Self- assertive;
• Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner;
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Knowledge and experience required to perform in this job:
• Five 5 years of direct experience in technical and/or operational roles of metallurgical circuits;
• Two 2 years’ experience as a Process Engineer;
• Significant experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant(s);
• Preferably experienced in the copper circuits;
• Microsoft Office suite, Visual Basic and DCS fluency is a must;
• English language fluency;
• Exposure to minerals processing plant design or metallurgical optimization;
• Knowledge of SGS expert system and SQL is a plus;
• Strong analytical and statistical skills is a plus;
• Previous Experience with Siemens PCS 7 DCS systems is not required but will be advantageous.
How to apply
Send your applications to the link below: