The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is a semi-autonomous Think-Tank whose mandate is to conduct socio-economic research and policy analysis in order to provide evidence-based policy advice to the Government, the private sector, civil society and other stakeholders in Zambia. ZIPAR also promotes economic literacy thereby encouraging increased stakeholder participation in national policy dialogue and debate on economic topics of wide public interest. ZIPAR is an equal opportunity employer. We therefore, invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the positions in our Emerging Themes, Human Development, Trade & Investment and Macroeconomics & Monetary Policy Units.
Reports to: Senior Research Fellow
• To lead the Trade and Investment research agenda of the institute by designing, conducting and coordinating research and policy analysis in this field and generating findings and policy recommendations to be provided through various dissemination and platforms and engagements.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the general direction of a senior research fellow or the Executive Director conducting and coordinating research projects and relating the findings to practical policy implementation;
• Drafting and editing policy documents, research reports , policy briefings, literature reviews and ‘popular’ versions of research findings appropriate for users and beneficiaries;
• Overseeing the organisation of events and seminars including policy briefings, consultative workshops and deliberative forums as requested;
• Be responsible for project development work and maintaining relationships with existing funders;
• Working with others in raising funding for research projects including writing proposals for core funding, for consultancies and external research funding;
• Devising and managing budgets and work plans in line with ZIPAR strategic plan;
• Prepare ZIPAR quarterly and annual reports
• Undertaking media work where required by for example writing press releases and drafting media articles;
• Develop and actively manage a network of contacts in the Government, the region, development partners, academia, private sector and civil society;
• Publishing the findings of research projects in appropriate outlets including peer review journals;
• Representing ZIPAR at national, regional and international events as requested by the Executive Director;
• Be an active member of ZIPAR’s research committee;
• Provide support and line management to junior staff;
• Such other appropriate duties as allocated by the Executive Director or a Senior Research Fellow.
• A PhD in a relevant research area or a Master’s degree in Economics or a closely related field and significant relevant experience working as a Researcher.
• Demonstrable skills and proven experience in carrying out research using qualitative and/or quantitative research methods and present findings in various formats and for different audiences;
• Proven project management and team leadership skills including the ability to manage a number of projects at one time;
• The ability to write up the findings of research in a variety of formats and for different audiences;
• An understanding of the Zambian economy, regional, continental and global issues on trade and investment and the ability to work across a number of policy agenda;
• A sound knowledge of Zambian Government policy including Vision 2030 and other policy documents;
• Excellent communication skills, written and oral in English;
• An ability to organise events such as seminars, workshops, deliberative forums, research briefings and validation events;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate confidently and positively with a range of people both internally and externally;
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
• Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office, statistical packages such as SPSS, Stata, etc; and internet search engines;
• Ability to carry out field work in any local language.
How to apply
Submit your application letters, CVs and supporting documentation, indicating the position applied for on the envelope and in the email subject line to:
The Executive Director,
Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research,
Central Statistical Office Annex Building, Opposite Ridgeway Campus,
Corner John Mbita and Nationalist Roads,
PO Box 50782,