Akros strengthens national information systems in developing countries. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. If awarded, this position will support the five-year, USAID-funded program, Let’s Read Zambia. The program will work with the Ministry of General Education (MOGE) to improve reading outcomes for approximately 14 million children attending pre-primary (reception/kindergarten) through Grades 3 in Zambian public and community schools. As a subcontractor on Let’s Read, Akros’ role will be to establish a cloud-based performance tracking system that facilitates routine school Based Assessments in Literacy to track student performance.
• The Performance Tracking Officer (PTO) will work with the Akros Let’s Read team and MOGE to roll out the performance tracking system and data analysis trainings across Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern, and Western provinces.
• This includes training of teachers and head teachers on data entry, engaging parents and traditional leaders for data feedback for community decision-making, and training zonal, district and provincial-level officers on system use, data analysis, dashboard access, and basic system administration.
• PTOs will provide data use support by conducting trainings, providing technical support visits, and mentoring staff in data use at all subnational levels.
• This includes data quality audits, support for leveraging subnational performance review meetings as a platform for investigating and analyzing data, and other technical support as needed
• Innovative, out-of-the-box thinking, looks for opportunities to succeed, and thrives in a fast-paced environment with challenging deadlines.
• Serve as a key liaison officer to assigned districts to build a collaborative, working relationship with district-level education officers to promote performance tracking system uptake and use.
• Configure hardware for data reporting. Assist in field-based trouble shooting of technical and hardware challenges.
• Train teachers and head teachers on data collection, data quality, and data auditing.
• Coordinate district and sub-district level surveillance visits to assess the accuracy of reported data, ensure high reporting rates, and promote data use for decision-making.
• Evaluate progress against key milestones in your assigned districts, anticipate challenges and escalate issues quickly to program management to ensure risks are mitigated.
• Bachelor’s degree (required) in relevant field
• 1-3 years’ experience with rural community-level field work, including working with traditional leaders and other sub-district officials
• Demonstrable experience working with government officials at all levels of the political hierarchy
• Must be able to translate data into key actions to meet program goals
• Self-starter who is able to work with a team and individually
• Excellent computer skills with experience using Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Candidate should be highly productive and internally motivated
• Candidate should work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules
• Candidate should be culturally adaptable and sensitive
• Field experience in rural Zambia required
Location and Term
• This position is contingent on Akros’ selection as an implementing partner on the USAID-funded Let’s Read program. If selected, this position is offered for 12 months based in Lusaka, Zambia, and will begin on or about June 1, 2018 with extensions available for up to five (5) years contingent upon performance and donor funding. This position requires roughly 75% travel within Zambia.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and CV with references to: