Good Nature Agro is a social enterprise that invests in Zambia’s small-scale farmers to bring them out of poverty and into the middle class. We identify premium agricultural markets and contract our growing network of farmers to deliver reliable, flexible, and quality supply. Good Nature provides year-round support to growers including business and agronomic training, custom farm advice, input financing, and a premium price. Our first company, Good Nature Seed, applies the Good Nature Agro model to the legume seed market. In four years, Good Nature has scaled from 40 growers to 5,000 growers and over 1,000 metric tons in sales, with 2,500 metric tons expected in 2018. We sell the output of our growers’ efforts to farmers around the region to ensure all smallholders have access to quality, affordable seed that can improve their farms and lives. Good Nature is at an inflection point and exploring more diverse market opportunities. The company has obtained net profitability and future growth will be driven by our ability to reach our two, primary annual goals: 1) Grower net income of $600 for every hectare enrolled in Good Nature and 2) strong financial returns for the company.
• The Grower Services Associate ensures that our growers receive quality services, that our field staff follow standardized practices that result in success, and that all stakeholders have accurate information regarding our growers, their practices and their results.
Ensuring growers receive high-quality services
• Owner of the Farmer Registry: Ensuring this centralized source of grower information is complete and current at all times so that we can provide high quality services to each of our growers (currently 5000).
• Supports field staff (Field Supervisors and Private Extension Agents) – to enroll growers and to enter contract data in the Farmer Registry
• Supports the Production Team so that growers receive timely inputs (e.g. seed and fertilizer).
• Monitors GNA services to ensure all growers are provided with high-quality and standardized services – allowing for pre-approved service variations.
• Ensures comprehensive tracking of all input, production, and loan data so that growers are accurately paid according to the terms of their contracts.
• Supporting and monitoring field staff members
• Works in partnership with the CEO and Production Managers to ensure field staff is well informed of service deliveries and upcoming events.
• Ensures field staff provides accurate data so that GNA can determine which growers are making progress toward lasting income.
• Trains field staff on the tools they will use to support growers.
• System administrator for CommCare – the system we currently use to collect data about farmers’ activities such as training attendance, agronomic practice adoption, and financial goal tracking.
• Creates easy-to-use processes and documents (e.g. contracts and performance analysis) to enroll growers, measure grower results, and to calculate payment.
• Ensures all crop-related tools/training meet user requirements and are produced to consistent high-quality.
• To ensure high productivity of field staff, enforces QC guidelines on all tools and training before they are distributed to Field Supervisors.
• Works in partnership with Communication Manager to ensure field staff is well informed of company priorities, alerts, and activities.
• Supports Production Managers to creatively solve problems of field staff.
• As requested, provides information on growers, crops, and production yields to internal and external stakeholders
• Ensures accuracy of grower data so that Production Managers can decide which growers to retain for future years.
• Tracks and performs data analysis on annual grower trends.
• For both internal and external stakeholders, fulfills information requests about our growers, their crops and their progress toward generating lasting income.
• Acts as a system integrator to make sure all information systems work together.
The Grower Services Associate reports to the CEO and has additional responsibilities to the Director of Finance and Administration for financial and administrative services.
The Grower Services Associate works closely with the Production Managers, the Communications Manager, Plant and Processing Manager, Shipping Manager, the Seed Quality Officer and all team members serving our growers.
Experience and Qualifications
• Degree in business, agriculture, information science, or related field
• System administrator experience including exceptional attention to detail
• Proficiency with EXCEL and CommCare or similar system
• Strong communication and training skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and fluently in English across cultures
• Ability to work in teams and successfully work with all levels of employees and stakeholders
• Agricultural background or with agricultural products (e.g. seed)
• Experience working in rural settings and familiarity with small-scale growers
• Experience with mobile technology and devices
• Experience in enforcing quality-control guidelines
• Experience in developing and documenting operational processes
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
• This position is vital to the success of our growers and the person selected will become part of a diverse team that is passionate about helping small scale farmers generate lasting income.
• This position requires that the person selected work and live full time around Chipata.
• While most time will be spent in the office, this person will work out in the field several days at a time to collect data and support field staff.
• The seasonal needs of agricultural cycles will dictate the person’s workload, work location, and responsibilities.
• The role has a competitive salary, overall compensation level will be determined based on the applicant’s work experience and education.
Please title your email ‘Grower Services Application’. [NOTE] Cover letters should be tailored to the job posting, generic cover letters will not be accepted. Applications will be accepted and processed on a rolling basis. You can expect notification advancement or refusal refusal within weeks of submitting your CV and Cover letter.
How to Apply
E-mail your CV and Motivation Cover letter emphasizing your interest to: