Barrack Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia. Reporting to: Environmental Superintendent Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North-Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Senior Environmental Advisor Role Summary Reporting to the Environmental Superintendent, you will be responsible for managing aspects of land clearance, rehabilitation of disturbed areas and ensure that rehabilitation monitoring programmes are developed and implemented and develop strategies and plans for closure.The role will also be responsible for the development and implementation of the EMS to the ISO14001 2015 standard .
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following: –
• Asses and measure land disturbance and clearance as a result of LMC’s and Contractors activities and subsequent Development, implementation, co-ordination and monitoring of progressive rehabilitation and closure plans and strategies
• Management of the onsite nursery to support rehabilitation using identified local species of flora in sufficient quantities and qualities to meet the company’s progressive rehabilitation requirements.
• Rehabilitation of disturbed areas as per the laid down standards and requirements and management of topsoil to ensure that this resource is protected and used for rehabilitation purposes
• Contractor engagement and management to ensure resources accountability, compliance to scope of works & schedule, quality assurance, zero harm to personnel and the environment.
• Preparation and submission of Mine close update reports and reclamation cost estimation as per Barrick Standard and Regulatory requirement
• Coordinate site biodiversity management programme as per Barrick standard and regulatory requirements
• Ensure development of a comprehensive aspects register and associated significant aspects register
• Support the Organisation to align the site Environmental Management Systems (EMS) to the Barrick EMS standard and in conformance with the ISO14001 2015 standard
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
• Tertiary Qualifications (Degree) in Science or Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Mine Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field
• Five (5) years direct experience in environmental management in the mine industrial setting, including regulatory agency interactions.
• Proficient in ISO 14001 and certified as ISO 14001 lead auditor as an added advantage
• Three (3) years of supervisory experience
• Excellent verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills
• Project Management or proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Possessing a valid Zambian or SADC driver’s licence
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to applyApplicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website: