The U.S. Mission in Zambia is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Local Guard
• Under the supervision of the Assistant Regional Security Officer (ARSO), incumbent exercises
• operational supervision of the contracted Local Guard Force (LGF) comprising approximately 350 local guards and oversight of 50 Zambian Police Service (ZPS) officers assigned to U.S. government (USG)
• Oversee the operation of 8 access control points, including vehicular access and explosive
• control points.
• Responsible for monitoring and recording the activity in the streets around such access
• points in order to insure the safety of employees at 5 USG facilities and approximately 100 residences.
• Collaborate with other RSO personnel and assets, including Surveillance Detection, Mobile Patrol, and ZPS officers to identify and mitigate threats.
• Function as the Government Technical Monitor and
• watchdog for the Contracting Officer's Representative to ensure compliance with contract parameters and ensure against waste, fraud, and abuse.
• Oversee and coordinate ZPS assets for the Ambassador's
• Protective Detail (APD).
• Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive
• information supporting each item.
• Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
• Two years of Post-Secondary studies at University or College is required.
• Two (2) years working experience with the police, military,
• protection operation or in a security setting is required. Additional one (1) year supervisory
• experience is also required.
• Level IV (fluent) speaking/reading/writing of English is required. Level III (Good
• Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing of one local language is required.
• (English language proficiency will be tested).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent oral and written communication ability are required.
• Advanced knowledge and experience in the use of word processing and spread sheets, formal and
• street interview techniques, conflict resolution and self-defense is required.
• Ability to analyze a problem and to communicate orally and in writing at an executive level. Keyboard skills required to compile reports, letters, and statements. Numerical skills required for budget formulation.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office Suites.
• Knowledge of access control, manpower control, applicable labor laws,
• force structure management and budget review is required.
• Additionally, knowledge of improvised explosive devices is required.
How to apply
Send your applications to:
the Human Resources Office,