Mopani Copper Mines PLC, a joint venture company comprising major shareholders Glencore, First Quantum Minerals Ltd and ZCCM Investment Holdings, owns operations in Mufulira and Kitwe on the Copperbelt in Zambia. The company’s success has been as a result of its focused approach to improvement and the mutually beneficial relationship enjoyed with its stakeholders — an important sector of which is its employees. Mopani is committed to establishing a winning team and a copper and cobalt business it can be proud of. The company operates an employment policy of “meritocracy” — aiming to employ the right people with the right skill, irrespective of race, gender or creed. Its remuneration policy is based on performance, creating a competitive environment of achievers.
• The Company seeks the services of a qualified UTILISATION SPECIALIST TRACKLESS EQUIPMENT X 1 reporting to Engineering Superintendent Maintenance.
• The successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical support, conducting assurance audits and report on the integrity, care and maintenance of underground trackless mobile machines, their operability, environmental conditions and utilization to established standards across the MCM Operations.
Duties will, among others, include:
• Provide expert advice to personnel on maintenance and operational best practices and participate in and provide advice during the investigation of equipment damage or environmental difficulties with a follow up root cause analysis.
• Identify training needs and provide on-site coaching with the aim to develop the maintenance, operational and Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM’s) workforce to achieve acceptable standards of work quality and quantity.
• Participate in relevant component failures when suspected where environmental conditions or equipment abuse have contributed to the failures.
• Carry out audits on equipment, environmental conditions and operability and skill of operators.
• Audit communication and information transfer from checklists to planned maintenance works orders.
• Identify deviations and give advice to site on solution formulation.
• Report on machine operability and health, environmental and utilization performance and other relevant observations made and monitor close out.
• Maintain close liaison with all stakeholders (i.e. OEM’s, Operations, Suppliers, Supply Chain, Component Stores, Finance etc.) to promote cooperation and sound working relationship.
To be considered for this position, you must have:
• A full Grade 12 School Certificate.
• Degree in Mining Engineering or its equivalent.
• Blasting License and First Aid Certificate.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in underground trackless operations and be a Field Specialist in machine operability, utilization practices, basic maintenance and cleaning and environmental management.
• These include underfoot conditions (roadway building, maintenance and cleaning), water handling, pump and sump systems, sump cleaning schedules, machine operator ownership, one-on-one machine allocation, skill, training, utilization, behavior, discipline, shift changes, mine planning and development, turning angles, re-muck bays allocation, travelling distances, machine care and cleanliness, loading, hauling and dumping tactics, machine allocation/rationalization per area, buffer capacities, compliance to pre-use checklists, ventilation and temperatures and have exceptional experience and skill on supervisory level.
• A certificate of membership with the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
• Relevant certificates in specialized courses from recognized institutes of learning or Original Equipment Manufacturers as an added advantage.
• Experience on underground Dump Trucks, Load Haul Dumpers and Cubex Drills is essential.
Key to the success of this portfolio is the incumbent’s ability to work on his own initiative, paying particular attention to company policies and corporate objectives
How to Apply
Interested, suitably qualified and experienced applicants should submit an application with contact phone numbers, detailed curriculum vitae with three pages or less and three contactable referees to:
Human Resources Superintendent – Manpower,
Mopani Copper Mines Plc,
PO Box 22000,