Zambia Sugar Plc., a large agro-industry which is part of Illovo SugarAfrica Company, is the leading sugar producer in Zambia. Its main activities are the growing of sugarcane, the production and marketing of sugar and other sugar downstream products. The Company has a permanent employee base of 1 700 employees and offers medical, educational, sport, recreation and other social facilities on the Estate in Mazabuka. The recently expanded Nakambala Sugar Mill is able to crush in excess of 700 tons cane an hour through two production lines and includes a process and packing facility able to produce a variety of sugar with a possible production rate in excess of 2 000 tons sugar a day. The area comprises approximately 28 000 hectares of irrigated sugarcane. An approximately 17 000 hectares of the planted area is owned by Zambia Sugar Plc.; and the balance of 11 000 hectares is owned by fourteen commercial Growers and three small-scale grower entities whose affairs are managed by the Estimated Recoverable Crystals (ERC) Committee comprising membership from Zambia Sugar Plc. and the Growers. The Company now invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the following position:
Human Resources Director (On Permanent Basis).
- To provide managerial leadership in the strategic utilisation of the Zambia Sugar human resources in order to meet organisational goals
Operational Processes Accountabilities
- Providing a leadership role by developing a culture that enables employees to perform in accordance with the company objectives
- Develops the human resources strategic plan by identifying and researching human resources issues, contributing information analyses and recommendation for the organisation’s strategic thinking and direction; establishing human resources objectives in line with organisational objectives
- Implements HR strategies by establishing accountabilities including talent acquisition employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management and succession planning, employee relations and retention, legal compliance and management of employee relations
- Participates in senior level decision making on both day to day management and strategic management of the Company
- Effective participation at both the Zambia Sugar Board and Executive Committee Level.
- Conducts training needs analyses and design and implement training plans
Qualification and Experience
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- Business Degree, preferably an MBA or its equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years at a senior management level
- Change Management competences/knowledge/processes
- Paid up member of the Zambia Institute of Human Resources Management
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of the sugar industry
- Financial management Information systems
- Business and Industrial Environment
- Efficient presentation and communication skills
- Well developed organisational and analytical skills
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Strong customer focus
- Excellent computer skills
- Expert negotiating skills
- Provide information on data such as absenteeism , staff turnover and employee productivity
- Supports management by providing human resources advice
- Develops and implements an annual agenda for the Human Resources Department that supports the needs of the business plan but are also flexible enough to cope with changes in the organisation
- Maintains and reviews organizational structure and staff establishment
- Maintains personal development plans, career panel minutes and performance management records
- Develops human resources operations financial strategies by estimating, forecasting and anticipating requirements trends and variances aligning monetary resources developing action plans and developing and measuring results.
- Reduces risk by ensuring compliance with Zambia labour and other related legislation
- Undertaking periodic salary surveys and making recommendations to maintain cost competiveness
- Prepares departmental budgets.
- Manages human resources department operations by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, counselling and disciplining staff monitoring the performance management system, managing compensation and implementing change
- Designing and implementing an effective employee communication system
- Managing the providers of external professional services
- Ensuring job descriptions are in place for all positions in the Company
- Designing and implementing HR policies and procedures that are in legal/regulatory compliance
- Maintaining succession plans for all departments
- Setting up and providing guidance on career panels and personal development plans
- Providing day to day advice to line managers on all human resources related matters, management of staff and remuneration packages.
- Government/trade/economic liaison
- Monitoring the national labour climate and advising management accordingly.
- People and Leadership accountabilities
- Builds internal/external networks in order to deliver business objectives
- Successfully builds support for ideas through effective and appropriate communication strategies
- Subscribes to the Illovo values driven leadership approach
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the above qualifications and specifications should apply enclosing their detailed curriculum vitae, copy of NRC and copies of educational and professional qualifications, contact address, and phone numbers to the undersigned:
ILILOVO THRIVING COMMUNITY,
The Company Secretary,
Zambia Sugar Plc,
PO Box 30489,
Note: Certificates should be certified as true copies by Commissioner of Oaths.