John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Type: Consultancy
- Central Province – (Kabwe (Roving Scientist to move with the sample courier across the two intra provincial routes), Kapiri Mposhi, Mumbwa, Serenje and Mkushi)
Scope of Work:
- The district Viral Load Support Scientist will be part of a team ensuring that all activities critical to guaranteeing the viability and transportation of whole blood or plasma samples for viral load testing are strictly adhered to.
- The incumbent will also ensure the full range of MoH manual documentation required for managing the chain of custody is properly and timely filled out and will further ensure all results are filed electronically or manually within 48 hours.
- Vehicle sample routes and communications with collecting facilities will be overseen by the officer and supplies requiring distribution and redistribution will be managed by the same.
The Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) support scientist will ensure the following:
- The availability of all nationally approved Early Infant Diagnosis (EID) and Viral Load (VL) registers including sample transport logs at all facilities in the district.
- Manage and update the VL Hub register daily.
- Facilities place orders for blood collection supplies regularly via the approved systems.
- Maintain adequate supplies at all collecting centres in the district i.e. Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic Acid (EDTA) & Plain containers, Cooler bags and Cooler boxes, needles & syringes/vacutainer systems.
- Facilitate redistribution of supplies in the district when there are imbalances and/or emergencies.
- Centrifuges at centres where they are available are in good working condition at all times.
- Manual or electronic results received are filed within 48hrs of receipt (registers or smart care).
- Maintain regular contact with the courier advising on sample availability and movement.
- Collaborate with other district vehicle movements to optimize sample transportation to the PCR Lab.
- Any other duties assigned.
How to Apply
Please send a written application either via email or through regular mail. Your application should consist of a cover letter and a detailed CV, including full addresses and contact telephone numbers. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter and also give names, addresses and contact telephone numbers of three referees. Please send email applications, with the position you are applying for in the subject line, to:
The Human Resources Manager USAID SAFE,
45/5B Incito Office Complex Reedbuck Road,
PO Box 51742,