Living Water International (LWI) is a global non-governmental organisation that exists to demonstrate the love of God by helping communities acquire desperately needed clean water, and experience “living water” (the gospel of Jesus Christ) which alone satisfies the deepest thirst. Living Water in Africa is providing safe drinking water, Christian Witness, Sanitation and Hygiene Education to communities across Africa. A vacancy exists in the Zambia Office, based in Lusaka for the position of Hygiene and Sanitation Facilitator:
Reporting to: Hygiene and Sanitation Coordinator
Remuneration: Annual Base Salary range of K50,000 – K59, 000
- Conduct baseline surveys to determine the conditions and set hygiene and sanitation targets in the WPA communities and schools.
- Prepare training/ promotional materials and tools. Produce detailed weekly and monthly activity plans.
- Conduct behaviour analysis and use results to develop appropriate promotional interventions.
- Participate in quarterly hygiene and sanitation regional team review meeting and annual program review meetings.
- Mobilize and select appropriate structures for hygiene promotion.
- Orientate and train specific implementation structure.
- Mobilize and trigger community behaviour change through CLTS and other appropriate promotional approaches as identified from baseline and behaviour analysis.
- Monitor behaviour change progress, verify open defecation free (ODF) communities and certify communities that attain ODF status.
- Maintain detailed log of H&S work, records and databases relating to area operation.
- Provide capacity building and technical backstopping to cluster heads, CHWs and local leaders in all areas H&S promotion.
- Provide tailored skills training to communities in relation to skills/knowledge gaps identified during behaviour barrier analysis and in accordance to CLTS work plan. Trainings should be limited to identify skills/knowledge needs able to trigger change.
- In liaison with H&S coordinator organize WPA community ODF certification by District and National sanitation working group.
- Follow up H&S activities in communities and community implementation structures.
- Conduct School hygiene and sanitation mobilization meetings and trainings
- Bi –annually conduct knowledge attitude and practice tests, and revisions in schools.
- Training school health teachers on School hygiene and sanitation including developing an action plan to improve Health and sanitation in schools.
- Conduct promotional activities including Pupils School led total sanitation, Child hygiene and Sanitation transformation trainings, and social marketing materials to increase adoption of hygiene behaviours.
- Pre-qualify schools that have a pupil stance ratio that is higher than 30:1 for consideration for subside and technical support.
- Mobilize selected schools for support with latrine stances to contribute at least 40% of School latrine construction cost.
- Review the appropriateness and effectiveness of the H&S sanitation promotional strategies and advice H&S coordinator accordingly.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Degree in one of the following; Public Health, Environmental Health, Development Studies, Social Science or a related field.
- Diploma in Water Engineering with relevant trainings in Hygiene Promotion.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role with an NGO/INGO setting with one field experience in health/WASH sector.
- Practical experience in application of HP approaches like CLTS, social marketing, CHAST, SSHE.
- Formal training in CLTS and practical experience in facilitating CLTS is an added advantage.
- Previous experience in designing and delivery of trainings in hygiene and sanitation for communities or schools.
- Experience in community mobilization
- Must be proficient in MS programs
- Fluency in reading, writing & speaking English
- Proficient in report writing.
- Driving experience with Clean Driving license will be added advantage
- MUST be a committed Christian with personal relationship with Christ Jesus
How to Apply
Applicants should submit:
1-page letter clearly indicating how the candidate meets each of the qualifications, skills and experience above.
Updated CV (not more than (4) four pages)- starting with the most recent role to:
or hand delivered to our office,
4135/17 Mambilima Road Rhodes Park,