Zambia Aquaculture Enterprise Development Project
The Government of the Republic of Zambia, through the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock with support from the African Development Bank is implementing the Zambia Aquaculture Enterprise Development Project whose objective is to contribute to economic growth as well as provide food and nutrition security in Zambia.
- The Project development objective is to advance the aquaculture sub-sector as a viable and inclusive business opportunity, through enhanced production and productivity, in order to improve the livelihoods of beneficiaries along the aquaculture value chain.
- This objective will be achieved through: a) support and promotion of reliable access to quality input and output markets; b) competitively-priced risk sharing access to finance and c) creation of an enabling infrastructure environment, which in turn is expected to facilitate the entry of new actors and expansion of business opportunities by the existing players in the industry.
- Specifically targeted Fish farmers will improve their business and managerial skills and the quality of their productive systems in order to increase output, efficiently, while keeping fish prices affordable and meeting growing demand from the lucrative domestic market.
The Department of Fisheries is the Implementing Agency for the Project while CEEC is an Implementing Partner under Component 1 of the Project:
- Support to Aquaculture Enterprise, responsible for managing the Seed Fund of the Project to support the development of the Aquaculture Value Chain through the provision of business loans and business development services to target beneficiaries along the Aquaculture Value Chain.
- Accordingly, and in line with its mandate under CEE Act No.9 of 2006 CEEC will provide business loans and technical assistance to MSMEs at all stages of the Aquaculture Value Chain to make it possible for all segments (production, transportation, storage and handling, processing, marketing, etc.) to receive the business support necessary to lift the entire value chain in the target districts.
The deliverables of CEEC will include:
- Stakeholder sensitization and mobilization
- Production and administration of a Seed Fund Manual
- Disbursement and management of business loans to Aquaculture Value Chain Players
- Provision of Business Development Services to the target MSMEs
- General Seed Fund coordination and management
Duties and Responsibilities
- Aquaculture Business Development Specialist with technical direction from the CEEC Director of Finance
- Assistant Accountant
- Ensure that the Project accounts are managed based on the CEEC accounting system and that the Project accounts are discretely managed but fully integrated with the CEEC accounting system
- Prepare Project accounts and financial statements in lie with International Financial Reporting Standards and in compliance CEEC and AfDB requirements
- Prepare the Project payroll
- Check all transaction requests to ensure accuracy and compliance to policy and procedures
- Provide assistance in the preparation of the project budget
- Prepare bank reconciliation on monthly basis
- Assist in the preparation of variance analysis on a monthly basis
- Maintain an asset register for the Project
- Prepare tax payments in compliance with tax regulations
- Maintain accounts payables and ensure that all supplier invoices are captured and up to date
- Maintain accounts receivables and ensuring that all staff and other operational receivables are captured on time and are up to date
- Ensure that all outstanding imprest are fully retired
- Ensure that all back up documentation are properly and systematically filed to facilitate quick and proper transaction referencing
- Prepare weekly petty cash count reports
- Adequately facilitate internal and external audits and other financial reviews of the Project as may be from time to time required
- Prepare Project Accounts and financial statements in line with International Financial Reporting Standards and in compliance with CEEC and AfDB requirements
- Undertake highly, effective and detailed communication with the Aquaculture Business Development Specialist and the CEEC Director Finance
- Report and analyse problems all problems experienced with the project accounts, so that remedial actions can promptly be taken
- Provide inputs into reports prepared by other consultants and stakeholders as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Fully qualified Accountant holding qualifications such as CA Zambia, ACCA, or CIMA
- Must be a member of ZICA or a recognized institution
- Proficiency in Pastel Evolution
- At least 3 years’ relevant work experience
- Duration of the Assignment
- The duration of the assignment shall commence from September 2018 and shall be renewed annually, based on performance, up to the closing date of the Project (31 Dec. 2021).
- The Project Accountant will be located within the Project Management Team of the CEEC, Lusaka, Zambia.
Language of Assignment
- The language of the assignment shall be English Language.
How to Apply
All applications in writing should be accompanied by up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and supporting documents (Note: do not send originals) with the names and addresses of three referees, one of which should be the last or current employer. Send to the address below:
The Director General Citizens Economic Empowerment Commission,
6457 Los Angeles Boulevard,
PO Box 35068,