Zambia has received funding from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for the project Strengthening climate resilience of agricultural livelihoods in Agro-Ecological Regions I and II in Zambia. This project aims to increase the resilience of smallholder farmers in Agro-Ecological Regions I and II in Zambia in view of climate change and variability. The project will achieve this aim by taking a value chain approach, addressing risks posed across key stages of the value chain – planning, inputs, production and post-production. The very high co-finance ensures that this project will shift public financing on agriculture towards climate resilient agriculture through strong partnership with GCF and UNDP. GCF funds will only finance the activities that have a clear climate change additional like climate information and early warning systems, access to water for smallholder farmers and linkages with rural agricultural markets. The project will make targeted interventions to capitalize on opportunities to strengthen and promote viable climate-resilient value chains relating to smallholder agriculture in the target regions, specifically targeting value chains that are gender sensitive and provide viable economic opportunities for women. This includes three interrelated outputs: 1) strengthening capacity of farmers to plan for climate risk; 2) strengthening resilient agricultural production and diversification practices (for both food security and income generation); and 3) strengthening farmers’ access to markets and commercialization of introduced resilient agricultural commodities. It is with this background that UNDP is recruiting a qualified and self-motivated project Driver to support implementation, under the overall supervision of the Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will ensure provision of reliable and secure driving services to the Project by:
- Being responsible for providing clerical support to various project staff as required, including day-to-day office project work as well as during events such as workshops, meetings, conferences, seminars, and training activities.
- Ensure cost-savings through, among others, proper use and accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through identification of vehicle service needs that require repairs, timely change of oil, check of tyres, brakes, car washing and scheduled.
- Report any mechanical fault in good time for repairs to be carried out and cross check to see that the repairs were well done.
- At all time, make sure that copies of vehicle insurance including office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit and necessary spare parts are available.
- Ensure that all immediate measures required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Learn and comply with all security requirements, when driving and using the vehicle.
- Support the project team by providing administrative and clerical support as requested, including preparing, copying, collating, binding, filing and distributing documents, mail and notifications, as instructed.
- Provide logistical and administrative support during events and meetings, as required.
- Support hospitality and orientation support of personnel and other individual, especially of new staff and visitors and guests of the Project Support Unit and the Country Office, as required.
- Ensure security and safety at all times especially while driving and respond to radio checks/calls at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Impact of Services
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the CO services.
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery - Ability to get things done
- Gender - Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Accountability - Ability to account for resources placed under one’s care and responsibility
- Creative Problem Solving - Being able to solve problems leading to team cohesion and optimization of performance
- Stakeholder Engagement - Ability to effectively engage stakeholders
- Professionalism - Ability to focus on professional ethics and integrity
- Knowledge Management - Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Leading by Example - Walking the talk and using the power of influence to effect positive change
- Respect for Diversity - Observes diversity in racial, tribal, religious and sexual orientation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Full Grade 12 Certificate with passes in English and Mathematics.
- A certificate in Automotive Mechanics and Basic First Aid is an added advantage.
- A valid SADC driver’s license is required.
- A minimum of 3 years work experience as driver.
- Previous experience working with a UN agency is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of basic driving rules and regulations and the Zambia Highway Code is required.
- Demonstrable skills in carrying out minor vehicle repairs are necessary. Prior experience working as a driver/clerk in an international, national or NGO office is required.
- Work experience with the UN or other international institutions with stringent accountability rules would be an asset.
- Must be fluent in English (both oral and written), the official language of the duty station.
- Important applicant information
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: