Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 240 square kilometers. The mine is a modern, world class facility with fully mechanized underground operations.
Lubambe Copper Mines is owned by EMR Capital of Australia (80%) and ZCCM – Investments Holdings (20%). The Mine is currently in a ramp up stage and will ultimately produce 45, 000 tonnes of contained copper and will employ approximately 1,500 people. The Plant infrastructure consists of a Concentrator plant, a laboratory and underground infrastructure. The Concentrator incorporates crushing, milling, flotation and filtration. The design capacity is 2.5 MTPA of ore at an average mill grade of 2.3% copper, yielding 45,000 tonnes of contained copper in concentrate to be sold to smelter in Zambia. To support this vision, Lubambe Copper Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individual for the following position in the Technical Services Department:
This position reports to the Senior Mine Geologist.
Purpose of the Position:
- To carry out Geological functions such as planning and managing dewatering at Lubambe Copper Mine.
- The objective of the dewatering is to provide and maintain dewatered resources for planned production.
Key Performance Areas / Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Eliminate FACs, MTCs, LTIs & Fatalities by promoting highest safety standards within and beyond the scope of geology requirements within the Lubambe SHEQ guidelines and mine safety statutory obligations
- The Management of Ground water shall require the interaction of the Geology functions with, Engineering, Planning, Mining and Survey disciplines.
- Responsible for planning of Dewatering holes, manage and supervise the drilling and installation of pumps to allow for Dewatering of the Mine ahead of Development and Stoping.
- Ensuring that there is a Hydrological model of the Mine Model of the water and also ensure that all new sources of ground water are logged with their position, locations, pressure, rate and quantities of inflow.
- Report all water intersections in terms of position, borehole number, depth of intersection and volumes intersected, monthly and ensure that such data is entered into the Database.
- Develop detailed mine design/stoping layouts which ensure best utilization of the mineral resource based on survey and geological data. Optimize mine design/stoping layouts to incorporate updated methodology, reduce development requirements and increase mining productivity. Monitoring and controlling efficiencies and powder factors on primary and secondary development as well as stope production.
- Manage the quality of all the drilling core, booked meterage, recovery and sign shift reports for each respective driller. He/she will ensure that the established procedure for Drill core handling is followed and that all the necessary data is captured and entered in the data base.
- Responsible for drill core sampled to standard as per established procedure of sampling and ensure that the samples are submitted to the Metallurgical Plant Lab for assaying.
- He / She will ensure a report is issued at the end of each month listing the holes drilled, final depth, water intersections and updates to the hydrogeology model.
- Compile all drill shift reports and generate a cost forecast which will be forwarded to the Cost Accountant for Provision of payments and budget control.
- Compiling the Geology Monthly Report for all the dewatering activities in the department.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Degree in Geology obtained from a recognised institution.
- Advanced qualification in Hydrogeology will be an added advantage
- Member of Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ) is a must.
- Grade 12 Certificate
- A knowledge of CAD software particularly Datamine and Microstation.
- Knowledge of 3D Hydrogeological/ mine planning software
- 6 Years’ experience.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Working with minimum supervision.
- Should be of a sober character.
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to the email below:
Please do not send scanned copies of your educational qualifications at this stage.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted