Reports to: Director – Entrepreneurship
Job Classification: Full time
Start Date: February, 2019, with opportunity to start earlier
The Startup Coach exists to build & empower more entrepreneurs to launch viable businesses. He/she is responsible for the first stage of programming that an entrepreneur will go through at BongoHive. The aim is to build the next wave of Zambian entrepreneurs who have the ability to create scalable, impactful businesses. Within this role, he/she will also contribute to BongoHive Consult by running entrepreneurship, innovation or Human Centred Design projects for corporate clients.
Duties and responsibilities
- Leads and coordinates the delivery and promotion of programs to assist entrepreneurs in identifying and validating business opportunities.
- Proactively defines the timelines & deliverables for all people involved to ensure a seamless & successful program delivery.
- Collaborating with the marketing & community leads to convert strong applicants into participating entrepreneurs.
- Manage the Community Lead to effectively support program logistics & communications for a smooth running, efficient program.
- Develops and facilitates programs, acts as coach to all participating entrepreneurs to ensure ideas are well validated & that entrepreneurs gain the critical insight & support they require to succeed.
- Use lean methodologies, research & validation tools & business model understanding to prove the viability of ideas.
- Utilise relevant local, African & global examples to help participants better understand concepts.
- Act as support & advisor for participating entrepreneurs during and beyond the hours of the program.
- Coordinates an efficient application & communications process so that each program results in high quality participating talent.
- Designs a rigorous application process aimed to reveal the highest potential candidates
- Leads the selection of high potential applicants
- Manages the Community Liaison to carry out communications & feedback
- Implements & maintains partner programs & mentorship opportunities
- Maintains strong relationships with partners
- Efficiently & effectively implements partner programs & mentoring opportunities to genuinely benefit our entrepreneurial community
- Assist in the process of scoping, planning, costing & facilitation of new startup support projects
- Inputs & supports on design & costing of proposals where required
- Facilitates training for client projects
- Contribute & lead the design, costing, pitching and implementation of consulting projects for corporate & NGO clients
- Carry out the business development process of pitching, selling & maintaining strong client relationships
- Use Human Centred Design & innovative methodologies to design & implement processes
- Create actionable, impactful & measurable outcomes meeting client objectives
Education: University graduate preferable or 2 additional years’ experience in lieu of a degree)
Has at least 5 years experience in one of the following:
- As a serial entrepreneur
- Has worked at an accelerator/incubator or similar as a trainer/coach
- Innovation / research / product development / business strategy / business development consulting experience
- Experience of lean start-up methodology desirable
- Skills in:
- Strong presentation skills essential, with ability to deliver in an interactive workshop format
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills
- A connector, with genuine interest in supporting the success of others
- Understanding of what makes successful businesses
- Project management skills
- Critical thinking & analytical skills to diagnose business needs
- A strong collaborator & team player
- A proven record of connecting business challenges with creative and transformative solutions
Other characteristics: Entrepreneurial mind-set; looking for opportunities; problem solver
- Highly focused, organised, driven, and results oriented
- Self-motivated and self-starter who thrives on high levels of personal responsibility and is able to execute and deliver
- A people person – you love interacting with new people and guiding them on a journey
- Good common sense, logical decision-maker
- Curious & naturally driven to learn new things
- Business-minded & street-savvy
- Passionate about seeing Africa’s growth through business
- Willing to work in a fast changing, adaptable business
- Up-to-date with business, socio-economics & politics in the region
- Working conditions:
- Willing to work when and where work needs doing. This occasionally includes evenings & weekends, as well as travel.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: