Kingspirit Image Room is an outstanding space for creativity. A creative studio and agency for TV production, photography, advertising, branding and design. We deliver professional images for events, brand and product campaigns. We are looking for a
As a camera operator your role will be creating video content in both studio and location environments; using varied camera, lighting and grip equipment, collaborating within your own team and working closely with Production, Art, Edit and Audio teams. You will be expected to maintain studio standards for shoots, looking after and maintaining kit, whilst championing studio protocol and best practices. You will also be working in one or more of the following areas:
Studio – Where you will follow a camera script, which gives the order of shots. This is practiced at rehearsal and is cued by the director during recording. The skill lies in interpreting what the director wants and acting quickly and effectively to achieve it.
Outside broadcast (OB) – Working as part of a team of camera operators filming live events, such as sporting and commercial occasions and music performances.
On location – Where there is likely to be more opportunity for creativity through suggesting shots to the director.
As a camera operator, you’ll need to:
- Assemble, prepare and set up equipment prior to filming, which may include tripods, monitors, lighting, cables and leads and headphones
- Offer advice on how best to shoot a scene and explain the visual impact created by particular shots
- Plan shots, for example when filming an expensive drama scene, such as an explosion, there may be only one chance to get things right, so shots need to be meticulously planned before and practice the camera moves required for pre-arranged shots study scripts
- Find solutions to technical or other practical problems
- Part of the role involves interacting and maintaining good working relationships with other members of the crew and cast, including the:
- Lighting technicians
- Sound recordists.
Required Experience & Education:
- 2+ years of photography, film or television experience or related field.
- Full grade twelve (12) certificate
- Background in journalism, media production, media studies, performing arts or related field will be an added advantage.
- Sound theoretical, practical and technical knowledge of cameras
- The ability to frame and compose shots
- The ability to perform camera moves accurately Interpersonal and communication skills
- The capacity to multi-task and take direction from others
- Team working skills and the ability to lead and motivate others
- Tact and diplomacy
- The ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Flexibility, creativity and patience
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination and good hearing and color vision are also vital.
- Physical stamina is required for working long hours and carrying heavy equipment
- Additional useful skills include a driving license and competence in IT.
Required Behavioral Competencies:
- Contributes to Team Success – Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Initiates Action – Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
- Innovation – Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
- Manages Work – Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Stress Tolerance – Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity) handles stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Work Standards – Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self imposes standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
How to Apply
If you have what it takes and you enjoy working with other creatives, we can offer you an interesting position in a friendly and result oriented working environment.
Please write an application/cover letter clearly stating why you would be best suited for the vacancy and also send an updated portfolio by 17:00pm the stated closing date to: