Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries. Safeguarding children and young people is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and capacity building Programs focus primarily on Education, Health, Water and Sanitation, Economic Security and Youth Empowerment, including Child Protection and Participation. Plan International Zambia has Program Areas in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
- The position of Assistant Accountant is part of Plan International 18+ Program on Ending Child, Early, and Forced Marriage (CEFM) in Eastern and Southern Africa implemented by Plan International Zambia to support the BMZ / Plan International Germany supported project “Strengthening Civil Society to End Child Marriage in Eastern and Southern Africa”.
- The position is responsible for timely accurate capturing of funds transfer from Plan GNO and the disbursement of various payments including payroll maintenance to create a system that can track all allocation of funds.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Preparation of Payment Vouchers and Journal entries to record correct financial records in Financial System
- Review and Monitor project advances and ensure proper accountability of funds.
- Review all Project Outlines to ensure budget allocation conforms to approved donor budget.
- Work with Program and Business Development teams to ensure that project budgets are properly implemented and help with any budget re-alignments that may arise
- Ensure timely preparation of monthly /quarterly/yearly project reports and submit for review as per Grant reporting requirement
- Provide necessary documentation to support project expenditure reports.
- Provide technical support to project staff on project management and reporting
- Ensure effective monitoring of country project budget
- Track and ensure compliance to Donor rules and regulations
- Coordinate submission of Time Sheets for funded project staff and ensure these are properly completed and approved.
- Undertake Field project monitoring visits and offer financial support where necessary
Individual Specifications Include:
- A Higher National Diploma in Accounting
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent qualification will be an added advantage
- 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role in an NGO environment
- Well versed in computerized accounting applications
- Ability to take charge of grant related accounting functions in the absence of the Accountant
How to Apply
To apply, kindly send through your application letter and CV, clearly stating the job title of interest to: Kindly note that only candidates who meet the above specifications and competencies should apply enclosing their CVs and photocopies of their relevant academic qualifications. Day time telephone and/or mobile contacts should be clearly indicated.
Applications should reach the undersigned:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.