Lubuto Library Partners (LLP) is a non-profit non-governmental development organization, headquartered in the U.S. with program operations initially in Zambia and plans to expand to other African countries. LLP’s mission is to enlighten and enrich the lives of children and youth in sub-Saharan Africa, and to especially provide those not in school and highly vulnerable opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills that will reconnect them with their culture and community, and empower them to participate fully in society.
The Lubuto Library model provides high-quality public libraries, providing accessible and holistic educational services to demonstrate and advocate for the impact that public libraries can have in providing opportunities for equitable education and poverty reduction.
LLP constructs enduring open-access libraries whose design is inspired by traditional and contemporary social, economic and cultural patterns and which freely offer comprehensive collections of well-chosen books and technology resources. Lubuto libraries serve as safe havens and are the center for dynamic library programming offering education, psychosocial support and self-expression through reading, music, art, drama, computers, mentoring and other activities.
With a fundamental focus on capacity-building, LLP maintains a continuous learning relationship for children and youth public library services with a growing network of Lubuto libraries owned and operated by Zambian organizations, developing a model poised to scale regionally.
- The Operations Officer’s role would be equally split between administrative duties and financial support.
The main purpose of the role would be to:
- Assist the Finance Manager and Administrative and HR Manager in the delivery of day to day functions of the office
About Lubuto Library Partners:
- Lubuto provides an open system of libraries and accessible services and works with colleagues in Africa to build their capacity to serve young people through public libraries.
- Our mission is to empower African children and youth and help them develop the knowledge and skills to reconnect with their culture and community and participate fully in society.
- Lubuto constructs enduring, indigenously-styled open-access libraries stocked with comprehensive collections of well-chosen books and appropriate technology.
- These libraries serve as safe havens and are the center for Lubuto’s outreach and programs, which offer education, psychosocial support and self-expression through reading, music, art, drama, computers, mentoring and other activities.
- More information about us can be found at Lubuto.org.
- The Operations Officer reports to the Finance Manager.
- Provide financial and administrative support to ensure that operations are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner.
- Assist the Finance Manager with the preparation of financial reports
- Assist with Asset Register maintenance and reporting
- Assist with Payroll and statutory returns (NAPSA and ZRA)
- Assist with management and undertake filing, scanning and archiving of financial and office records
- Maintain Procedures folder with relevant, up to date procedures
- Assist with document preparation, minute taking and agendas for meetings
- Keep record of Timesheets
- Assist in the procurement function
- Maintain a list of vendors
- Ensure that bills are paid on time
- Perform other duties as required
Education and Experience:
- Degree/Diploma in Business Administration
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the similar position
- Experience working in an NGO set-up
Skills and Abilities:
- Embraces the mission of Lubuto Library Partners.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and organizational skills, is attentive to detail
- Communicates effectively with diverse audiences
- Is a “self-starter,” driven to develop and maintain systems and network relationships.
- Organizes and leads efforts, and consistently “follows through” on tasks and goals.
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- The Operations Officer will be based in Lusaka PHI.
- The position is available immediately and the application period closes on February 22, 2019.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the role, what you would bring to it; a detailed résumé; and three traceable references to the email below with the subject header: LLP Operations Officer
Include contact information (phone and email) in your application
Applications not including all of the above will not be considered