Direct: Executive Vice President
Supervises: Librarian, Library Associate
Interfaces with: Faculty, Staff, Students, Other NU stakeholders
- This leadership position is responsible for the planning, organizing and supervision of the University Research and Library services.
- The post holder will champion the provision of high quality teaching, research and scholarly activities within the University ensuring a stimulating, collegian and well managed environment.
- S/he will also contribute to the delivery of the Universities strategy including promoting excellence in Research & Knowledge Exchange, Learning & Teaching and adherence to academic, research and administrative Principles.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic leadership to the department, embracing the range of disciplines represented, by providing a coherent vision for research and postgraduate training
- Identifying and supporting opportunities for research and postgraduate teaching programme developments internally, externally and internationally, both within existing funding streams, and where possible, through collaboration across and beyond the University
- Achieve income generation targets from research funding agencies and ensure that the University capitalizes upon funding initiatives from local and international sources in furtherance of its programmes
- Support and promote knowledge transfer between the University and non-academic users of research through appropriate mechanisms
- Ensure that the faculties and its members comply with University policies on research quality and conduct and the requirements of all relevant regulatory bodies
- Ensure close links are maintained with the relevant professional, statutory and regulatory bodies and that the University contributes to required quality, accreditation training and development needs of the professions are met
- Establish and implement library and information policies and procedures
- Ensure that materials are current and accessible, and available to users when required
- Develop and manage convenient, accessible library information services and technology
- Attract, lead, and help retain department staff to achieve academic excellence, supported by Performance and Development Review processes, and contribute to the successful development of the University
- Teach NU courses
Perform other functions as required
Work Experience Requirements:
- At least three years’ teaching in a higher learning institution at masters level
- PhD or demonstrable evidence Of equivalent training and experience
- Extensive research experience; with several years’ experience in a senior academic leadership role
- Experienced in cross disciplinary research initiatives and collaboration
- Well-developed understanding of the priorities, operation and strategy of relevant funding bodies as evidenced by a track record of funded research
- A proven record in working successfully with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated positive attitude and ability to plan and adapt to change.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with NU departments, cross functional teams and NU partnering organizations.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of technology for research and instruction.
- Willingness to work extended hours.
How to Apply
All job inquires must be forwarded to the Human Resource Department.
Please contact the department using the following details:
Tel: +260 960 776 144
Physical and Mailing Address:
Main Campus: 30029 Kitwe-Ndola Dual Carriage Highway (Opposite Twapia Turn-off) P.O. Box 240271, Ndola, Copperbelt, 10101 Zambia
Solwezi Campus: Mary Begg Kansanshi Mine Clinic, Mushitala,
PO Box 110274,