First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
Provide Specialist Instrumentation Support to/and Covering Maintenance activities within the Smelting Operations, including the following:
- Installation, Fault Finding and Replacement of Instrumentation Equipment in area of responsibility – ensuring that both Company and Vendor Safety and Quality standards are adhered to, whilst ensuring minimum disruption to the Smelter Plant Operation or Production.
- Perform Fault Analysis in order to eliminate re-occurrences of repetitive faults and improve Process efficiency.
- An Understanding of the Control Narratives of the Processing Plant in relation to the Instrumentation Equipment installed.
- Adherence to the Company Planned and Preventative Maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Execute / Co-Ordinate all Instrumentation Maintenance schedules in area of responsibility.
- Keeping record of all Instrumentation Log Sheets in area of responsibility and provide feedback to Direct Line Manager.
- Ensure the correct and safe usage of all Workshop Tools and PPE. Apply and Practice correct and safe working principles and standards during all Instrumentation Maintenance Tasks.
- Compile / Implement / Review all Instrumentation Task Procedures and Risk Assessments.
- Be a Team player in the Primary Instrumentation Section and comply with all KMP Health and Safety requirements.
- Liaise with Senior Supervisors ( Smelter Instrumentation ), Supervisors ( Smelter Instrumentation ), Instrumentation Technicians in order to provide a full range of Instrumentation Services / Support to Operations / Production, Processing Team, other Engineering Teams.
- Ability to Setup, Calibrate and Maintain a wide variety of the latest Field Instrumentation related to Processing Plants.
- Identify, Initiate and Executing Continuous Improvement Projects within the Instrumentation Section.
- Cost / Equipment Management of the Instrumentation Section, including:
- Align, Manage and Control Costs of area specific Instrumentation Section according to the Operational Business Plan.
- Manage and Control Critical Spares and Control Stock Level.
- Vendor and Contract Management of the Instrumentation Section, including:
- Ensure adequate record keeping of all Company and Vendor related documentation.
- Provide Site Support to Contractors performing specialist tasks.
- Resource Management of the Instrumentation Section of responsibility, including:
- Training and Development of all Zambian employees.
- Assisting in developing a Comprehensive Training Schedule for all Zambian employees as per Smelter requirements.
- Ensure that good work ethics is sustained by effectively managing discipline with reference to absenteeism, lateness, overtime, misconduct, etc. within the section and setting an example as an Expatriate.
- Assist in managing the Instrumentation Section Resources from a supportive Functional Role, ensuring that the business objectives are met.
- ¬Through effective leadership/mentorship cultivate, nurture and foster an enabling and continuous improvement climate/culture in the section
- Any other Duties, as per instruction from Direct Line Manager.
- National Diploma - Industrial Instrumentation
- Trade Test Certificate – Instrument Mechanician
- Job Specific Requirements
- Strong instrumentation and control system skills and experience
- Execution of tasks associated with maintenance inspections and strategies
- Able to assist with modifications/upgrades on existing control systems
- An ability to scope and execute small projects
- Instrumentation calibration and maintenance abilities
- Loop tuning
- An ability to read and interpret instrument loop drawings, control logic diagrams, data sheets and associated technical documents
- Instrumentation IMS inspections (SHERQ)
- Utilisation of and adherence to RCA procedures
- Compliance to the MOC process for changes to existing plant and equipment
- Data extraction and analysis (fault finding, trends etc.)
- Control valve overhaul, inspection and test experience
- DCS experience
- PLC experience
- SCADA experience
- Sound knowledge of wireless instrumentation systems
- A practical understanding of IS and SIL
- QA/QC experience with instrumentation installations
- Shutdown planning and execution experience
- Proactive identification and correction of defects and preventative maintenance
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Very good communicator with strong skills/knowledge ability
- Operational Requirements:
- Excellent Computer Literacy
- Overtime and standby work when required
- Fluency in English
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: