Agora Microfinance Zambia Ltd (AMZ) is a licensed microfinance lending company that currently operates in the Western, Copperbelt, Muchinga, Lusaka and Central provinces of the country. The mission of AMZ is to ‘Contribute to the economic well-being of the poor through effective provision of appropriate financial services.’
The Operations Manager (OM) is part of the management team of the Company and is specifically focuses on the lending operations carried out from the Company’s branches. The responsibility includes management of the implementation of the operations strategy to the highest quality, meaning that operational procedures outlined in the Operations Policy (Manual) are closely followed at all times. As part of the management team s/he will provide input in the development of the overall institutional strategy and plans, and in their implementation.
- Degree in business, finance, economics, or related field
- Good knowledge and experience of microfinance operations and service delivery maintenance
- At least 3 years of experience in a management position, preferably in microfinance, banking or a related industry
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Good leadership, supervision, analytical skills as well as ability to propose improvements in operational processes and procedures to achieve increased efficiency
- Good understanding of Universal Social Performance Management Standards is an advantage.
- Overall management of field operations and problem solving as required.
This includes, but is not limited to:
1. Overseeing field operations and managing resources
- Supporting COO in the planning process of branch operations in accordance with AMZ operational plan;
- Collaborating in the creation of the Operations Plan/Strategy and in the Branch Management/Staff Mentoring/Capacity Building plans and their corresponding updates.
- Overseeing branches to assure efficient use of branch resources (staffing, fixed assets, time allocation – including leave planning, travel, cost control, etc.) and escalating any efficiency issues to COO if existing strategies may not be working;
- Building capacity of branch teams in the implementation of their respective plans using a range of methods (formal training or information sessions as well as coaching and mentoring both in person and remotely); assuring that branch management and staff capacity building plans are implemented; liaising with other departments to gain support for branch teams;
- Ensuring effective coordination between branches and other departments in the Company, including MIS/IT, Finance, Research, HR and general administration.
- Establishing good working relationship with local councils, traditional leaders, other local/regional authorities.
2. Analysing and documenting progress toward branch operational targets/objectives:
- Ensuring timely flow of accurate information between branches and head office using approved report templates; propose changes to the templates to improve the quality of information;
- Identifying any gaps that may prevent branches from reaching the targets and addressing them in a timely and efficient manner;
- Monitoring progress toward monthly, quarterly, and annual targets for the branches, in terms of profitability, efficiency (productivity), and portfolio quality;
- Monitoring and anticipating any adverse developments/events that may have significant negative impact on AMZ clients’ livelihoods and/or AMZ operations;
- Regular (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual) reporting to COO;
- Providing input into the design of new products and services as required.
3. Assuring quality of operations:
- Full compliance to AMZ Operations, Human Resource, IT, and Finance Policies and strengthening the quality of branch operations;
- Assuring AMZ’s loan portfolio excellent quality and implementing appropriate strategies to achieve that; following up on arrears in an appropriate, efficient and timely fashion;
- Overseeing branch compliance with the approved budgets and tracking branch-level Operational Self Sufficiency (OSS);
- Branch quality of operations monitoring should include both desk review of branch reports, regular field trips, including visits of branch offices, various village banks meetings, and individual clients as well as relevant documentation spot checks (e.g. client cash flows, village bank files, client repayment booklets, etc.); at least a half of OM’s working time should be spent in the field
- Making suggestions on the design and optimisation of operational processes and procedures to achieve increased efficiency and improve information flow between various positions within the operations department and among AMZ departments (finance, IT, HR, research, internal audit);
- Work closely with Research department on operationalising the results from client level research.
- Spot checks on General Meetings by completing a Field Visit Form quarterly checking the VB profile completed by the CO, AM & BM
- Cashflow Analysis – Complete a Cashflow Verification form for a minimum of 1 per branch, monthly
- Cashflow Analysis – Sit in on one Credit Committee meeting per branch monthly
- Loan Application – Complete 1 VB testing form per branch on a monthly basis.
- Disbursement – Complete 1 disbursement checklist per branch monthly.
- Monitoring – The VB checks that all BM’s have filed the reports in their internal control folder
- The OM completes 1 Collection Sheet Checklist per branch on a monthly basis.
- Monitoring. Complete the Field Visit Template Form and submit to the COO on a monthly basis.
- Carrying out operational tasks (projects) as assigned by COO.
How to Apply
All applications should be sent through e-mail: All applications should be cleared marked Management Accountant in the subject line.
AMZ is an equal opportunities employer.