Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 240 square kilometres. The mine is a modern, world class facility with fully mechanized underground operations.
Lubambe Copper Mines is owned by EMR Capital of Australia (80%) and ZCCM – Investments Holdings (20%).
The Mine is currently in a ramp up stage and will ultimately produce 45, 000 tonnes of contained copper and will employ approximately 1,500 people. The Plant infrastructure consists of a Concentrator plant, a laboratory and underground infrastructure. The Concentrator incorporates crushing, milling, flotation and filtration. The design capacity is 2.5 MTPA of ore at an average mill grade of 2.3% copper, yielding 45,000 tonnes of contained copper in concentrate to be sold to smelter in Zambia.
To support this vision, Lubambe Copper Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individuals in the following position:
- This position reports to the Superintendent Manpower – Employee Relations
Purpose of this position
- To ensure a conducive industrial relations environment that makes it easy for employees to discharge their duties without difficulties and addressing issues that are likely to lead to industrial unrest without compromising the company’s set standards.
Key Performance Areas / Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Ensuring timely disposal of disciplinary cases and grievances equitably and justly without biasness.
- Supervision of company hired transport to ferry employees to and from work and ensuring that the total cost for this service is kept to the minimum through controlled number of trips.
- Ensure the provision of advice to line officials on matters pertaining to labour transfers, placement and promotions in line with company policy.
- Preparation of separation notices to employees leaving employment irrespective of the mode of exit and ensuring that necessary documentation involved is submitted to payroll in time for the next pay run.
- Conducting the liaison role between the company and government agencies/ institutions such as Labour Office and hospitals on matters relating to employee medical reviews.
- Ensuring the timely submission of compensation claims to Workers Compensation Fund Control Board for employees getting injured or dying whilst on official duty within the scope of their responsibility.
- Monitoring the status quo of the industrial relations climate on a daily basis and reporting to Management any situation that is likely to lead to industrial unrest.
- Preparation of the Weekly Disciplinary and Monthly Industrial Relations reports as well as ad hoc reports as may be required by Management.
- Obtaining and facilitating permissions for Union Officials whenever there is an approved request by Manager Human Resources.
- Facilitating recruitment and selection process with line officials and preparation of the offer letters to the successful candidates.
- Facilitating appeals and preparation of appeal reports for employees who have separated on disciplinary grounds.
- Conducting exit interviews for employees leaving the company through resignation.
- Facilitating and ensuring that employees who are leaving employment through all other modes except medical discharge undergo exit medical examinations.
- Leave, leave commutation, sick leave and pay query processing for employees.
- Preparation of Introductory Letters for employees seeking to open new bank accounts, change pay points and acquire loans.
- Ensure timely soliciting of funds for employees referred to other hospitals by Konkola Mine Hospital for medical conditions outside the Capitation Scheme.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Human Resources Management or any social science.
- Grade 12 O level full certificate
- Affiliation to the Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management (ZIHRM) a must.
- Not less than 5 years ’practical experience in Human Resource preferably in a mining industry.
- Ability to understand and use HR Systems.
- Strong communication skills (interpersonal and report writing).
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Good problem-solving skills and paying attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet and Email services inclusive.
- Easy adaptation to a new environment.
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to the email below: Please do not send scanned copies of your educational qualifications at this stage and clearly indicate the job applied for in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.