First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Qualifications (required for this job)
- A Tertiary Qualification in Chemical Engineering, Mineral Processing Engineering or related Engineering field
- Eligibility for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ), and to hold legal appointment as defined by the Mining Regulations of Zambia.
Core Specific Responsibilities – related to this Job
Deliverable from this job
- Champion the Plant Design “Change Management” system on behalf of the Processing Department, interfacing with Projects Department, Engineering Department and Document Control personnel in in order to ensure that standard operating procedures, safe work practices and Lockout-Tagout procedures are kept up to date
- Possess the ability to analyse and understand plant design documentation as Equipment and Instruments Lists, Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s), Operating philosophies and Process Control Functional Specifications
- Assist and advice operations personnel so all the operating and maintenance activities within the plant comply with the standard practices
- Assist Operations personnel by carrying out plant and equipment isolations when assigned by the Chief Process Control Engineer, mainly required during major shutdowns
- Provide the Process interface support to the Projects, Engineering and Document Control personnel regarding the Plant Design Change Management System
- Participate and lead process performance analysis and improvements initiatives
- Monitor, control and report on process plant performance indicators, plant activities and operational shortfalls;
- Actively participate in the Continuous Improvement philosophy of the Process team
- Be proactive so Processing Department consistently delivers and exceeds the main KPI’s of plant throughput, utilisation, recovery and safety
- Ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions;
- Lead work with the FQM Way culture in the Process Control Team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven;”
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief Process Control Engineer.
- Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations;
- Maintain HSE standards for self and team; including toolbox talk, planned tasks observation, “Stop, Think and Coach”, hazard identification and reporting etc.
- Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly;
- Strong commitment to SHEC performance;
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability;
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying any shortfalls regarding the Plant Design Change Management System
- Possess the management discipline and perseverance to develop and implement medium to long term plans;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
- Displays strong initiative and spirit for continuous improvement;
- Be diligent and thorough in approach;
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Knowledge and Experience required to perform in this job
- A minimum of 4 years of direct experience in technical and/or operational roles of metallurgical circuits as a Metallurgist/Process Engineer OR Any relevant experience with the Plant Design Change Management system in an industrial environment OR Any relevant experience in the Design, Construction & Commissioning phases of an Industrial Plant
- Strong understanding of industrial plant design documentation like Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s), Operating philosophies and Process Control Functional Specifications is required
- Experience in large, complex base metals mineral processing plant(s), with a preference in copper circuits would be considered a plus
- Strong analytical skills
- Advanced computing skills including Microsoft Office suite
- English language fluency.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: