The UN system in Zambia supports development operations in the country through the activities of UN system agencies represented on the ground. The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) in Zambia is responsible for managing the overall coordination of the UN system’s support to national development objectives. These include support to UN reform efforts towards ‘Delivering as One’ (DaO), UN inter-agency coordination and performance management under the Zambia-UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework 2016-2021 (Partnership Framework) and joint programmes, monitoring, policy analysis and advocacy on the Sustainable Development Goals, engagement on the national aid effectiveness agenda and promoting UN collaboration with relevant state and non-state partners.
The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Lusaka, Zambia and typically reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Within delegated authority, the Associate Development Coordination Officer, Data Management and Results Monitoring/Reporting will be responsible of the following duties:
- (These duties are generic and may not be carried out by all Associate Development Coordination Officers, Data Management and Results Monitoring/Reporting.)
Summary Of Functions
- Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) data and research strategies.
- Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships.
- Undertakes monitoring and reporting of UNCT results.
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development.
Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of the UNCT data and research strategies:
- Assists in the design and implementation of the UNCT’s data and research strategy, in alignment with the Country Common Analysis (CCA) and UN Partnership Framework;
- Undertakes empirical analysis, data mining and visualization, as assigned, to assist the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UNCT, including results groups, in developing reports and working papers on sustainable development topics
- Compiles and analyses information on the latest developments of the use of new types of data sources and tools (e.g. big data) for sustainable development
- Provides substantive and analytical support to RC/UNCT in preparing and positioning the UN to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the country, including the drafting of reports, as well as analytical and position papers
- Contributes to UNCT research and development of data and research tools and methodologies at the country level
- Keeps abreast of emerging development issues to optimize UNCT’s analytical capacity to respond to national priorities
- Contributes substantively to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for UNCT’s research products
- Administers UNINFO planning, monitoring and reporting system and contributes to the development of the One UN Country Results Report.
Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships, including with UN entities at regional and HQ level, government counterparts, research institutes, leading global thinkers on development, and civil society, among others:
- Supports the UN’s work with national data and statistical systems, facilitating engagement with national entities and data systems;
- Communicates and coordinates with existing partners and helps form new partnerships with UN agencies, academia, the private sector, and governmental agencies to further the use of data science for development
- Communicates and coordinates with internal and external partners on data collection and project/research implementation
- Supports the convening of key thinkers on sustainable development and 2030 Agenda to provide inputs on, advise and steer the UNCT’s research and data agenda
- Assists in strengthening the UNCT’s partnerships with research institutions and similar entities across the UN system though concrete collaboration on areas of the 2030 agenda.
Undertakes monitoring and reporting of UNCT results under the UN Partnership Framework:
- Supports inter-agency efforts on results and progress monitoring and reporting on the UNDAF and Joint Programmes, particularly through UNINFO
- Assists in preparing the Partnership Framework monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and reporting results at country, regional and global levels
- Contributes to independent evaluations of UN Partnership Framework as a key element of the Partnership Framework cycle, and other interagency work related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Serves as country focal point for country-level, regional and global M&E initiatives and networks.
Supports knowledge management and capacity development related to data and monitoring:
- Assists in the sharing of best practices within the UNCT and with UNCTs in the (sub)region and globally, based on a solid understanding of the incentives that people need to utilize knowledge
- Advocates for knowledge sharing, inspiring others within the RCO and UNCT to contribute their expertise through internal and external platforms and tools, working closely with colleagues at the regional level to ensure usable knowledge is shared between and applied by UNCTs;
- Assists in the identification of good practices and lessons learned at the different levels of the UN System (national, regional and global) and share findings with HQ, Regional and country colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s work
- Contributes to the UNCT’s exchange of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned with external partners
- Provides substantive support for assigned thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools
- Draws upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to provide contributions to strategic planning processes.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: