Zambia has received funding from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for the project Strengthening climate resilience of agricultural livelihoods in Agro-Ecological Regions I and II in Zambia. This project aims to increase the resilience of smallholder farmers in Agro-Ecological Regions I and II in Zambia in view of climate change and variability. The project will achieve this aim by taking a value chain approach, addressing risks posed across key stages of the value chain – planning, inputs, production and post-production. The very high co-finance ensures that this project will shift public financing on agriculture towards climate resilient agriculture through strong partnership with GCF and UNDP. GCF funds will only finance the activities that have a clear climate change additionality like climate information and early warning systems, access to water for smallholder farmers and linkages with rural agricultural markets. The project will make targeted interventions to capitalize on opportunities to strengthen and promote viable climate-resilient value chains relating to smallholder agriculture in the target regions, specifically targeting value chains that are gender sensitive and provide viable economic opportunities for women. This includes three interrelated outputs: 1) strengthening capacity of farmers to plan for climate risk; 2) strengthening resilient agricultural production and diversification practices (for both food security and income generation); and 3) strengthening farmers’ access to markets and commercialization of introduced resilient agricultural commodities.
It is with this background that a qualified and self-motivated professional is sought to fill the role of Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication Analyst.
- The Monitoring, Evaluation & Communication Analyst will report to the Project Manager and will work in close collaboration with the RPs and relevant stakeholders.
- The main responsibility of the Monitoring, Evaluation & Communication Analyst will be to support all monitoring, evaluation and communications related needs of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leads and executes project monitoring, evaluation & communication activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Lead the development project monitoring & evaluation (M&E) plan and oversee the implementation of the resource framework
- Develop Terms of References (TORs) for M&E tasks to be carried out for consulting firms (e.g. the design of surveys, evaluations, etc. using a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods;
- Develop and maintain an M&E database for the project (technical and financial) and contribute to the maintenance of a database of the Project;
- Set the baseline for the project as per the indicators identified in the project results framework;
- Identify information source and be responsible for sourcing data and information for specific M&E needs directly from other implementing agencies and stakeholders particularly for indicators not requiring a survey;
- Support technical work such as reviewing M&E methods, carrying out training needs, designing M&E tools and providing M&E technical assistance;
- Oversee and participate in evaluations and assessments;
- Serve as the evaluation team member of selected evaluations conducted;
- Ensure quality control of M&E outputs (e.g. surveys etc.), including by contributing substantively to the design and field testing of the monitoring methodology, review, supervise design and implementation of the survey, participatory data collection methods and protocols, data verification techniques, and other technical evaluation and analytical tasks conducted;
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of all relevant issues impacting M&E
- Guide and provide training for project team to foster capacity building on M&E knowledge
- Support M&E missions commissioned by the donor and UNDP
- Review M&E system/mechanism, process and procedures of the RPs and forms and formats for project activities under its various components
- Monitor project progress through field visit as may be required, offer feedback and keep regular communication with related field and centre level staff
- Attend, participate and provide necessary inputs for preparation of and during project meeting, Workshops and trainings
- Prepare and submit periodical progress reports based on M&E inputs as per the Results Framework meeting the deadline as per the requirement of project and UNDP
- Prepare consolidate progress reports for project management to submit to the relevant stakeholders, in accordance with approved reporting formats and schedule
- Support other relevant staff of the Project in coordinating the preparation and consolidation of annual work plans, monthly and quarterly, Project reports and other deliverables
- Review monitoring reports, analyse them for impact evaluation and to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and make recommendations;
- Assist PM to manage identified risks, foresee new risks and to support project staff to mitigate them effectively
- Track progress made on the Project’s Results Framework during project implementation;
- Undertake relevant field visits to ensure achievement of the objectives of his/her assignment.
- Lead Project Communication activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Be responsible for all communication activities on the project.
- Innovation – Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership – Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management – Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication – Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery – Ability to get things done
- Gender – Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Accountability – Ability to account for resources placed under one’s care and responsibility
- Creative Problem Solving – Being able to solve problems leading to team cohesion and optimization of performance
- Stakeholder Engagement – Ability to effectively engage stakeholders
- Professionalism – Ability to focus on professional ethics and integrity
- Knowledge Management – Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Leading by Example – Walking the talk and using the power of influence to effect positive change
- Respect for Diversity – Observes diversity in racial, tribal, religious and sexual orientation
Required Skills and Experience:
- A Master’s degree University degree in economics, business administration, development studies, political science, public policy, international relations, or a related field.
- Seven years relevant experience in project or programme management, including monitoring and evaluation, performance assessment, reporting on results, accountability, quality assurance, policies, procedures and tools for project cycle management
- Experience in working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Qualification in PRINCE2 (project management certification) and/or M&E and communications, is an added advantage.
- Must be fluent in English (both oral and written), the official language of the duty station.
- Knowledge of the local Zambian language in the areas of operation is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: