First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Make necessary adjustments on Autoclave feed preparation, Autoclaves, BFS leach and Thickening units to enable them run more efficiently at desired throughputs.
- Control or operate systems of machines using the SCADA system.
- Monitor Process Units and advise deviations in order to meet production targets and maintain acceptable Copper Cathode Quality
- Regulate or shut down equipment during emergency situations as directed by the Shift Controller, Operations Overseer and as per prevailing circumstances.
- Confer with Technical and Supervisory personnel to report or resolve conditions affecting safety, efficiency and product quality.
- Notify maintenance and other auxiliary personnel to correct equipment malfunctions. Must be familiar with both maintenance and production call out systems.
- Monitor and adjust process performance to achieve quality control parameters that will assist to meet production targets in a safe manner.
- Maintain communications as required with relevant operators and maintenance personnel in the field.
- Record all and every operating specification and changes as required by the Supervision.
- Record shift readings and provide a shift report as requested.
- Actively participate in all departmental activities, including skills training, shift handover communications, toolbox meetings, safety KPI’s activities and any other activities as requested by the Supervisor.
- Record all problems encountered during the shift, changes in parameters made, record all measures that have been undertaken and pass on to the incoming shift.
- Maintain an understanding of hourly, daily and monthly production targets and progress.
- Maintain proper and detailed log book entries.
- Be proactive in looking for circuit problems and report any sub-standard conditions to the Supervisor in a timely fashion.
- Provide training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an on-going basis..
- Other duties as directed by the Supervisor.
- Diploma in Metallurgy / Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience in a Concentrator or related field
- Supervisory and Control room experience in Concentrator operations
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Operational Requirements
- Valid drivers' license
- Computer literate
- Standby duties
- Working at heights
- Confined spaces
- Understanding of corrosive and toxic substances
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: