Tetra Tech International Development Services, (https://careers.tetratechintdev.com) headquartered in Arlington, VA, is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates for Senior Technical Specialists positions on an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded environment and natural resources project in Zambia.
The purpose of the project is to reduce deforestation and forest degradation attributed to charcoal production and consumption in selected province(s) in Zambia.
Tetra Tech will support the Zambian government to fulfill its commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and meet REDD+ goals by promoting alternatives to charcoal as fuel and energy sources and will contribute to biodiversity conservation and sustainable forest management in Zambia.
Market-based Urban Energy Specialist
The Market-based Urban Energy Specialist will provide technical expertise to support the design and implementation of project-supported interventions to promote the adoption of alternative energy sources and efficient cooking technologies to reduce urban reliance on charcoal. S/he will lead a team to design and support market-driven approaches to ensure wide-spread adoption of the most promising commercially viable technologies (avoiding reliance on subsidies).
Experience promoting private sector investments that address the affordability, availability, accessibility and scaling the adoption of alternative energy sources and efficient cooking technologies in Zambia.
Experience with other innovative realistic household fuels alternatives is preferred.
Robust private sector networks and strong existing Government of Zambia relationships.
Forest and Land Use Specialist:
- The Forest and Land Use Specialist will provide technical expertise to lead the design and implementation of project-supported interventions to improve forest governance systems and
- land management.
- Experience and expertise in all aspects of community-based organizational development and capacity building; and community forest management planning.
- Extensive experience in participatory methods and an understanding of the political economy and regulatory requirements related to the charcoal value chain.
- Robust relationships and experience working with Zambia’s Forestry Department, ZEMA, local Chiefs, and other relevant stakeholders working to improve forest governance and management.
Value Chain Specialist – Livelihoods Advisor
- The Value Chain Specialist/Livelihoods Advisor will provide thought leadership related to the design of alternative livelihoods activities for former charcoal producers in peri-urban and rural areas, as well as charcoal transporters, haulers, and marketeers in urban areas.
- S/he will provide technical expertise to lead the design and implementation of project-supported interventions that increase incomes from sustainable forest-based enterprises.
- S/he will promote viable forest-based business models that have long-term impact and high potential to increase inclusive economic and livelihood benefits from forest or other land-based value chains that supports sustainable landscapes.
- S/he will design, develop and implement project activities that will strengthen forest-based value chains, improve competitiveness, establish quality standards, and create market opportunities for non-timber forest products (and services).
- Experience in the assessment, and selection of viable forest-based value chains in Zambia, including identifying, developing and supporting nascent forest-based enterprises increase profitability.
- Experience designing, formalizing and managing private public partnerships (PPPs), mobilizing financing, and will have robust existing public and private sector networks.
Private Sector Engagement and Business Enabling Environment Specialist
- The Private Sector Engagement and Business Enabling Environment Specialist will lead the design and implementation of project-supported interventions that promote private sector investment in: 1) the increased affordability, availability, accessibility and scaling of alternative urban energy alternatives and more efficient cooking technologies in Zambia; and, 2) high-impact forest-based value-chain enterprises.
- S/he will develop global, regional and national institutional relationships with private sector and financial institutions.
- S/he will identify innovative financing mechanisms that incentivize private sector investors and leverage private sector capabilities to promote market-driven solutions for the most promising commercially viable alternative energy, efficient cooking and non-timber forest-based businesses in Zambia.
- S/he will provide technical assistance to incubate viable businesses and accelerate funding opportunities.
- Experience in the design and management of private public partnerships (PPPs)
- Robust existing public and private sector investment networks.
Social Marketing/Behavior Change Communications Specialist (SM/BCC):
- The Social Marketing/Behavior Change Communications Specialist will provide technical expertise in planning, implementing and evaluating social marketing and behavior change communications and awareness campaigns that increase the adoption of viable energy alternatives and efficient cooking technologies in urban areas.
- S/he will oversee market research and studies that will develop effective messaging and communication dissemination strategies that focus on 1) available energy sources and fuel-efficient technologies; and 2) environmental, social and human health consequences of deforestation and forest degradation.
- S/he will develop comprehensive communication tools and SM/BCC campaign materials and activities, using evidence-based theories and methodologies, using effective messaging platforms including social/digital media, radio, mobile communication, peer support and local messaging.
- Experience working with regional and national BCC firms, advertising agencies, public relations experts, production vendors, community mobilizers, and/or consultants is required.
- Experience building capacity of local community-based organizations to implement quality and successful SM/BCC activities is preferred.
Forestry Policy, Regulation and Enforcement Specialist
- The Forestry Policy, Regulation and Enforcement Specialist will provide technical expertise to lead the design and implementation of project activities focused on supporting the Government of Zambia to implement their wood fuel regulations. S/he will design innovate approaches to strengthen forestry regulation implementation, enforcement, monitoring, and local forest governance to reduce illegal wood harvesting and charcoal production.
- Strong understanding of the current forest policy and law enforcement environment in Zambia, especially understanding what is currently working and what is not.
- Solid understanding of the existing Zambian policy and legal environment
- Proven track record of working directly with the Government of Zambia, particularly in influencing policy implementation.
How to apply
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech's IDS ad posted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 17,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.