Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 240 square kilometres. The mine is a modern, world class facility with fully mechanized underground operations.
Lubambe Copper Mines is owned by EMR Capital of Australia (80%) and ZCCM – Investments Holdings (20%).
The Mine is currently in a ramp up stage and will ultimately produce 45, 000 tonnes of contained copper and will employ approximately 1,500 people. The Plant infrastructure consists of a Concentrator plant, a laboratory and underground infrastructure. The Concentrator incorporates crushing, milling, flotation and filtration. The design capacity is 2.5 MTPA of ore at an average mill grade of 2.3% copper, yielding 45,000 tonnes of contained copper in concentrate to be sold to smelter in Zambia.
To support this vision, Lubambe Copper Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individuals in the following position:
This position reports to the Project Geologist
Core purpose of the position
- Carry out data collection, processes quality control drill Core from the drilling in the Extension Areas.
- Key Performance Areas / Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Core Geotechnical Logging.
- Data input into Data base and Data achieving.
- Produce Reports on the logging and pass on information to other interested parties.
- Supervise Geological Technicians and Geological Assistants for a smooth flow of operations in the department.
- Carryout geotechnical core logging and manage data entry into the data base.
- Carryout lab tests on core samples, RQD, Point Load Tests and triaxle tests.
- Ensuring adherence to SHEQ and rock engineering standards and comply to procedures and standards as and when required.
- Compile Strata Control Sheets on core in the Extension Areas and update and file all rock engineering related reports, i.e. Core orientation and Structural measurements.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Certificate in Strata Control/ Rock Mechanics/ Geology/Mining or any relevant qualification.
- Diploma in Mining Engineering, Rock Mechanics or Geology will be an added advantage.
- 1-2 years Strata Control experience in an underground mining or Exploration Environment
- Hands on experience with Geotechnical core logging
- Hands on experience with MS Office and CAD software
- Excellent analytical skills and strong ability to quickly pick up problem areas
- Excellent Report writing skills
- Knowledge of applicable to strata control standards and frameworks.
- Computer Literacy – MS Office Suite (Word/Excel/Power Point/Outlook).
- Understanding of mining operations and mining cycle.
- Communications skills (written, verbal and presentation).
- Report writing skills.
- Strong Understanding of various support systems used underground.
- Understanding of rockmass characterization and classification processes.
- Attention to detail and ability to work with limited supervision.
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to the email below: Please do not send scanned copies of your educational qualifications at this stage and clearly indicate the job applied for in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.