John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which is led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, works to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counselling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Since the late 1980’s when Zambia was hit by the HIV epidemic, numerous factors have influenced the quality of HIV-testing services, the feasibility and acceptability of new HIV-testing approaches, and the access to available HIV services for various community groups. To achieve epidemic control of HIV we need transformative action that leverages on community responses to HIV that are integrated with facility based services.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Ndola, Copperbelt Province
- Community health services form an integral part of the SAFE strategy of ensuring that people in supported areas have access to quality health services as close to the family as possible.
- The CMO will be a key member of the regional team that will be charged with the responsibility of mobilizing people and communities for essential health services including HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment, Family Planning, Maternal Newborn and Child Health, Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision among others.
- The CMO will ensure that these services are supported and owned by the communities in which they are offered.
- The incumbent will report directly to the Provincial Community Health Services Director.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with DHO, health Facilities and NHCs to identify, train and mentor community health volunteers`.
- Provide hands on supportive supervision to community volunteers across the key mandates of the project
- Actively engage and create linkages with community leaders and gate keepers with a view to mobilize their constituents for HIV and other health services
- Specifically work with the clinical teams at SAFE supported facilities to ensure that differentiated models of health services delivery for HIV Prevention, Support, Care and Treatment are successfully implemented.
- Identify needs and opportunities and provide relevant information to facilitate the program team’s ability to effectively engage communities.
- Under the direction of the Provincial Community Director, develop and maintain relationships with key actors in strategic locations (e.g. churches and other faith based organizations, youth groups, women’s and men’s organizations, CBOs etc.
- Working with community change agents, spearhead mobilization of communities for VMMC and other services.
- Facilitate quality standards among community based organizations and volunteers working within the community health system in SAFE supported catchment areas;
- Any other duties assigned by the project.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- BSc-public health or BA-social work or BSc nursing or its equivalence with at least three years’ work experience; or
- Diploma in nursing or Social Work with at least seven years’ experience
- Training in psycho-social counselling is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience working with community based organizations implementing HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment, FP, VMMC, TB, STI and other social services
- Ability to facilitate learning among providers of HIV/AIDS/TB prevention services, FP, VMMC etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Computer literate especially in word, excel, power point and internet
- People centered change agent and a unifying player in multi-sectoral teams.
How to Apply
Send an application via email ONLY to the email below: In the subject line please indicate the position you are applying for; only those applications that reference the position in the subject line will be reviewed. Your application should consist of a cover letter (cover letter should include the last position held) and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information.