First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Adhesion to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality.
- Verify and approve all control sample analysis in LIMS and arrange re-tests for batches that fail QC and validation acceptance criteria. Provide reason(s) for deviation(s) and describe action taken to avoid reoccurrence.
- Ensure all completed sample batches are promptly exported to the control room & approved mailing list.
- Ensure all figures are updated on the Cumulative, Control and Daily Mill report.
- Investigate all sudden jumps and drops in assay result trends and maintain records.
- Maintain and ensure satisfactory availability of the following; AAS, Leco Carbon & Sulphur determinators, Sample shakers, Hotplates and general purpose Ovens.
- Prioritize workloads and ensure that turnaround time obligations on analysis are met.
- Ensure supervision, motivation and productivity of every member of his/her team
- Ensure good communication with co-workers (Metallurgical and Operation Team)
- Train all new personnel on analysis & sampling of process control samples and LIMS related activities.
- Ensure availability of up to date Analytical methods and equipment operating procedures for the section.
- Oversee sampling crew, taking action on auto-sample defects & ensure good quality of samples.
- Ensure availability of reference standards in the section.
- Ensure good housekeeping in the area of responsibility.
- Maintain discipline in the section.
- Perform any reasonable task as instructed by supervisor.
Qualification, Experience & Skill:
- BSc. Chemistry or its equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience in a Mine Laboratory
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: