Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grade 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools
The Accountant will report to the Senior Accountant and will be responsible for the specific duties outlined below;
Essential Functions, but are not limited to:
- Process of clearing bills, payments vouchers – via checks and bank transfers
- Prepare paperwork for transfer of project funds from the central bank account to provincial bank accounts;
- Perform data entry into the QuickBooks
- Maintain accurate record keeping and ensuring that monthly reports are photocopied and originals shipped to HO
- Ensure that all payments have the necessary documentation such as purchase requisition forms, PO, invoices, vetting reports, receipts, agreements or contracts, attendance registers, etc. as applicable.
- Receives and reviews (for completeness and accuracy) all incoming invoices and requests for payment.
- Ensures the integrity of all receipts, invoices, and vouchers.
- Works with the Procurement manager and Logistics officer to track all inventory and ensures that it is at least quarterly updated and reconciled.
- Maintains a good understanding of the requirements outlined in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Pay allowances at workshops and meetings
- Perform fuel consumption analysis to ensure vehicles are efficiently used
- Manages the day to day bank activities – such as making payments, deposits, withdrawals and delivering and collecting all bank correspondences.
- Assists the Senior Accountant in all aspects of the project accounting and processing of accounting transactions according to the generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and adhere to Policy and Procedures Manual and USAID rules & regulations.
- Facilitate provision of information and pulling out all necessary documents during audits
- Follow up and collect expense reports and ensuring they are passed to Senior Accountant for first line review.
- Distribute pay slips each month and ensuring that all staff have signed the vouchers and acknowledged receipt.
- Ensure that VAT and all taxes are excluded from payments.
- Performs other financial tasks assigned by the Finance SA and FD which are consistent with his/her qualifications, this Scope of Work and the general requirements of the project.
- Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
- This position reports to the Senior Accountant
The candidate for the position of Accountant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate, a Diploma in accounting or up to level 2 of CIMA or ACCA
Skills and Experience:
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Able to work in a team
- 1-2 years’ experience in accountancy or finance
- Experience working with computers, especially spreadsheet programs like Excel.
- Experience working with QuickBooks accounting system or similar product
- Experience supporting USAID or other donor-funded projects is preferred
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of (and proficiency in) Chinyanja, Chitonga, Silozi, Lunda, Luvale, Kiikaonde and Icibemba languages highly preferred.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be considered.