The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), FAO in Zambia will be partnering with the European Union, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT) to implement a program on Sustainable Intensification of Smallholder Farming Systems in Zambia (SIFAZ). The project will focus on building demonstrable synergies between research and promotion of appropriate sustainable agriculture intensification practices.
The driver will work under the general supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator.
The incumbent will play a pivotal role in ensuring the safety, technical soundness, cleanliness and comfort of the vehicle(s) assigned.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Drive Project Staff and their visitors on official trips.
- Undertake official trips to project sites across the country as required by the Manager/Supervisor.
- Meet staff and official visitors at the airport, facilitate immigration, customs formalities, hotel check-in and other formalities.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, fuel consumption, transportation/vehicle related expenditures, vehicle servicing, repairs, etc;
- Ensure day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s); checks oil, water, battery, tyres, etc; perform minor repairs and timely arrange for any other repairs necessary to keep the vehicle safe and technically sound at all times; maintain the vehicle(s) in clean condition.
- Handle local and Organizational formalities when involved in an accident; ensure that in these cases all organisational and local country rules, regulations and procedures are followed correctly.
- Collect and deliver mail, documents, materials and other communications/ items to and from the project office; project sites and other project related institutions and keep record as required.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Secondary school education.
- Possession of valid driver’s licence.
- At least 2 years of work experience as a driver with/or in government departments, national and international NGOs and other UN agencies in Zambia
- National of Zambia
- Working knowledge of English
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile:
- Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted:
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: