Nkana Water and Sewerage Company (NWSC) is a Commercial Water Utility Company engaged in the business of providing water supply and sanitation services to its customers in Kitwe, Kalulushi and Chambishi. The Company is committed to “Delivering Excellence” in line with the Company’s vision “To be a symbol of excellence in the water and sanitation industry.”
In a bid to enhance service delivery and customer service management, NWSC is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position:
To provide guidance and support to the Company on legal matters, represent the Company in civil and criminal litigation matters and perform other corporate duties as will be required from time to time. The Legal Officer will report to the Director Legal and Company Secretary.
- Prepare appropriate court process and competently prosecute matters in the courts of law including the Supreme Court on behalf of the Company and defend the Company against law suits that may arise out of the conduct of its business;
- Prosecute criminal matters on behalf of the Company and/or provide guidance on prosecution of criminal matters.
- Prepare and follow through with strategies to enable the Company ensure regulatory compliance among its customers
- Ensure proper case flow management of all matters that are the subject of litigation.
- Conduct research and prepare legal opinions relating to matters arising out of the Companies Act, Labour laws and other relevant laws that affect the business of the Company
- Supervise case flow management by external Legal Counsel
- Provide advice to the Company on statutory compliance in the conduct of the business and in the formulation of policy documents
- Draft and/or review legal letters, contracts and agreements and monitor legal obligations under agreements to ensure compliance, as required
- Submit monthly and quarterly work reports to the Director Legal and Company Secretary;
- Maintain a database on the status of all court matters involving the Company; and
- Provide professional assistance and guidance as may be required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 Certificate with at least five (5) credits including Mathematics and English language;
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Degree;
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court for Zambia with current and valid Practicing Certificate from the Law Association of Zambia;
- At least three years post qualification experience;
- Must not be more than 45 years of age; and
- Sound Company law and Commercial law experience will be an added advantage.
- Personal Attributes Required for the Job:
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to cope with high levels of responsibility and with confidential matters.
- Must be assertive, high ethical standards, respectful and collaborative
- Excellent planning, time management and organizational skills with strong attention to detail; and
- Excellent interpersonal communication at all levels (verbal and written).
How to Apply
Interested applicants who are suitably qualified and experienced for the above positions should submit their applications with copies of certified certificates, detailed Curriculum Vitae with the names of three referees to the undersigned:
Director of Human Resources and Administration Services,
Nkana Water and Sewerage, Company Mutondo Crescent,
Off Freedom Way,
Riverside, PO Box 20982,