Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 240 square kilometres. The mine is a modern, world class facility with fully mechanized underground operations.
Lubambe Copper Mines is owned by EMR Capital of Australia (80%) and ZCCM – Investments Holdings (20%).
The Mine is currently in a ramp up stage and will ultimately produce 45, 000 tonnes of contained copper and will employ approximately 1,500 people. The Plant infrastructure consists of a Concentrator plant, a laboratory and underground infrastructure. The Concentrator incorporates crushing, milling, flotation and filtration. The design capacity is 2.5 MTPA of ore at an average mill grade of 2.3% copper, yielding 45,000 tonnes of contained copper in concentrate to be sold to smelter in Zambia.
To support this vision, Lubambe Copper Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individuals in the following positions:
This position reports to the Safety Superintendent.
Purpose of this position
The Safety Officer is responsible for monitoring and assessing hazardous and unsafe situations and developing measures to assure personnel and equipment safety.
Key Performance Areas / Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Conducting inspections and coaching to ensure compliance to safety standards.
- Conducting safety awareness programs.
- Conducting incident investigations and facilitating issue-based risk assessment.
- Ensures there are safety messages in each Incident Action Plan.
- Maintains awareness of active and developing situations.
- Ensures the Site Safety and Health Plan is prepared and implemented.
- To correct unsafe acts or conditions through the regular line of authority, although the Safety Officer may exercise emergency authority to prevent or stop unsafe acts when immediate action is required.
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment).
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management.
- Conducting visitor’s inductions, auditing legal documents and managing contractors.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Diploma as minimum qualification in occupation health and safety obtained from a recognized institution.
- Member of ZOHSA as added advantage.
- Proficient in MS Office; Working knowledge of safety management information systems is a plus.
- 5 years minimum work experience gained in mining industry i.e. having background work experience in mining or engineering disciplines and experience in implementation of Health and Safety Management Systems.
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and understand impacts of decisions.
- Ability to mitigate personnel issues and problems
- Good problem-solving techniques
- Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices.
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Diligent with great attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
- Leadership skills
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to email below:
Please do not send scanned copies of your educational qualifications at this stage and indicate the job applied for in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.