First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Recognized Degree in Geoscience with a Master’s Degreebeing advantageous
- Membership of a recognized Overseas Professional Organistaion (ROPO)
- Full clean driving license
Core Specific Responsibilities
- Demonstration of a “safety first” focus by acting as a role model to employees and contractors.
- Management and leadership of team, their work and efficiencies
- Oversight and continuous improvement of all ore control, production, and reconciliation functions.
- Preparation and management of relevant operating, contractual, and capital budgets
- Comprehensive input into strategic and short term mine planning with alignment to relevant Geology and Mineral Resource optimizations.
- Develop, implement and monitor processes for quantifying mineralisation properties including deleterious elements, mineralogical associations, and their distributions in order to support more efficient mental recovery.
- This includes oversight of site mineralogical section (optical microscopy and XRD laboratory).
- Supervision of all Mineral Resource development, including all drill programs, geological mapping, geochemical and geophysical survey where required.
- Ensure geological modelling, grade estimation and coordination of associated activities of key inputs into annual resource estimates for sign-off and public disclosure are in accordance with the CIM Standards on Mineral Resources and Reserves – definitions and guidelines as well as the Rules and Policies of the National Instrument NI34-101
- Management and control of the quality and standard of consistent and secure database
- Undertake month end reporting on block model reconciliation
- Train, mentor and develop technical staff
- Develop and communicate medium and long term strategies and work plans to add value to the business
- Perform all other tasks and duties as reasonably instructed by the Manager Mine Technical
- Expected Deliverables
- Ensure the geology department delivers a high level of support shareholders
- Effectively contribute to the overall success of KML
- Well-entrenched safety and quality principles
- Proactive, honest, reliable and passionate about driving continuous improvements and excellent standards
- Self-motivated, ambitious and resilient with a history of goal achievement.
- Possess and apply practical creativity and innovation in finding smart solutions, overcoming challenges, and implementing or trailing new ideas.
- Exceptional leadership and team building skills
- Excellent supervisory, administrative and project management skills
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- A high level of scientific and analytical ability, alongside high levels of integrity and a proven reputation for the same.
- Ability to think strategically and identify needs, risks and opportunities in both the short and long-term
- Ability to coach and mentor team members towards technical excellence
- Ability to work effectively as part of cross functional teams
- Ability to work on own initiative without guidance or supervision
- Ability to readily develop rapport with and win trust of colleagues in other functions, management, other business units and potential partner companies
- Ability to work well with individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds and with a wide range of experience levels
- Must be proactive, open, honest and reliable
- Ability to take responsibility and manage tasks through to completion
- Performance and quality driven
- Ability to work under pressure in a dynamic environment
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in the mining industry with at least 5 years in a senior production/mining related role
- Operational experience in open pit copper and nickel deposits.
- Familiarity with CACB and Domes region geology and/or sedimentary hosted base metal deposits advantageous
- Proven Track record in exploration, resource modelling, grade control, production gelogy, pit mapping, DD/RC drill project supervision and QAQC protocols
- Working knowledge of database management
- Experience in mine reconciliation
- Background in application of geochemical and mineralogical data to geo-metallurgical modelling
- Proven experience in people and contractor management
Experienced user of the following software:
- Snowden Supervisor
- Leapfrog and IoGas (beneficail)
- Proficiency in Microsoft office products
- Working knowledge of Zambian Mining Regulations
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: