Western Water and Sewerage Company (WWSC) Ltd is a Commercial Water Utility Company engaged in the business of providing water supply and sanitation services to its customers in the Urban and Peri- Urban areas of Western Province of Zambia.
In a bid to enhance service delivery and customer service management, Western Water and Sewerage Company Limited being an equal opportunities employer, is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position:
To be based at Head Office in Mongu
Reporting to the Managing Director. The job holder shall be responsible for planning and managing the financial resources of the company, formulating and implementing company financial policy and strategies on all aspects of financial management in order to ensure financial viability and reporting
Academic and professional qualifications:
- The candidate shall hold minimum qualification of a full professional accounting qualification such as ACCA, CIMA or ZICA. An academic qualification in Finance or Accountancy is an added advantage.
- Should have a full Grade 12 certificate.
- Professional Membership:
- Must be a paid up member of Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- Minimum Relevant Job Experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in finance and accounting.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide budget holders with support and explanation of the budget and forecast planning process and assistance in the understanding of any variances between planned and unplanned income and expenditure
- Produce high quality analysis and interpretation of variances between budget / forecast and actual costs
- Support the external audit process and liaise with internal and external auditors.
- Assist in the production of statutory reporting and accounts.
- Accurately prepare and analyze monthly financial and management reports, including income statement, financial position, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow statements.
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy, and provide guidance and analysis to executive and operational management to improve results.
- Ensures proper management of grants and project funds and ensure accurate reporting, compliance, and reconciliation of all projects resources as well as the creation of project accounts in the accounting system and maintain project-related records, including contracts and change orders
- Prepare a variety of ad hoc financial scenarios as requested by management from time to time for decision making.
- Develop standard accounting procedures to improve financial operations efficiency and establish key financial strategies to enhance business profitability.
- Collaborate with management on development and execution of funding strategies and report to management regarding the remaining funding available for projects
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers (PM) and funding agency, regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to projects.
- Participate in performance evaluation of finance staff and conduct counseling sessions to identify skill development needs.
- Monitor and manage all expense within the allotted budget and ensure that the financial reports are prepared and delivered on time
- Oversee the overall corporate budgeting preparation, management and monitoring processes.
- Present financial reports to board members, stakeholders, executives, and clients in formal meetings
- Stay up to date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes
- Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures for the company, and adhere to financial regulations and legislation.
- Undertakes cost analysis and participates in preparation of tariff review proposals and submits them to the Board of Directors and National Water Supply & Sanitation Council (NWASCO) for approval and preparation, respectively.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Managing Director from time to time.
Other Reporting and Financial modelling:
- Undertake financial modeling using cash flow forecasts, ‘what if’ scenarios and income and cost relationships;
- Compile, analyse and interrogate cost data for use in developing future budgets, forecasts, proposals and quotations;
- Develop customer margin, profitability, costing and pricing information /reporting as required;
- Assist in developing new methods to report financial and non-financial information for the business
Required competences/personal qualities:
- Ability to undertake complex audit assignments
- Good analytical skills
- Good communication skills (both written and oral)
- High level of honesty, integrity, objectivity and independence of thought
- Good initiative and personal organization
- High knowledge of Pastel Accounting Package (Sage) and other accounting packages is a must.
How to Apply
The job of Finance Manager is a three (3) year fixed term contract renewable based on performance and personal conduct. Interested candidates aged between 35 and 50 years must submit their applications accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae and copies of academic and professional certificates and names of three (3) referees to the following address:
Or email to
The Managing Director,
Western water and sewerage Company Ltd,
6149 Independence Road,
PO BOX 910445,