First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Field and workshop maintenance and related lifting gear inspections:
- Lifting gear and related machinery inspections
- Carry out breakdown maintenance of MH equipment in the field and workshop (where relevant) in a timely and cost effective manner
- Reporting of fault finding and participate in root cause analysis when required
- Carry out planned maintenance according to maintenance schedules of MH equipment
- Ensure warranties are upheld
Materials handling and crane operations and related safety inspections:
- Set up and operate a mobile crane and lifting machinery
- Reporting of unsafe lifting equipment or lifting machine
- Communicate with others and take direction from dogman with regards to rigging or crane operations
- Required to inspect the lifting machine and all rigging equipment prior to use
- Perform critical lifts when required
- Crew members and material are hoisted and maneuvered in a safe and proficient manner by performing site surveys. Task analysis
Planning & Scheduling:
- Carry out weekly plans; provide feedback on all inspections and any maintenance requirements needed for assigned crane and rigging gear
- Reporting of any unscheduled work carried out during planned maintenance
- Carry out planned maintenance as per shut down or maintenance schedules
- Provide input to weekly plans, if requested, to ensure that they are realistic and achievable.
- Ensure that all relative documentation for planned maintenance and breakdowns are completed and submitted to the Workshop Supervisor in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide input into continuous improvement through operator level maintenance on all assigned crane and liaison with operations personnel including fellow operators/drivers.
- Provide input from the workshop floor on processes and support to the MH Workshop Supervisor
- Ensure the selection and configuration of all lifting equipment is correctly selected to move loads according to weight and size
- Ensure that all team members have clear directions of daily work and targets.
- Actively participate in all related technical and all lifting activities, workshop planning meetings, toolbox meetings and any other activities as necessary to promote excellence in communications.
- Assist with routine rigging study when required and report any improvement during or after planed work, a proactive attitude will serve as a recommendation
- Ensure that all work is carried out according to mine safety standards and procedures
- Assist with training staff on mine safety standards
- Continuous on the job risk analysis
- Ensure all safe working procedures are followed with regards to all mobile crane and all rigging equipment as per safety standard
- Report all unsafe or near missis to MH workshop supervisor
- Ensure proper and safe use an operation of rigging equipment and mobile cranes
- Operate strictly according to company and statutory quality, safety, environmental and health regulations and policies
- Report all incidents to the MH Workshop Supervisor
- Grade 12 certificate
- Crane driver rigger certified by an OSHA accredited organization or a crafts man certificate
- Member or the engineering instate of Zambia
- Extra heavy driving licence is essential (EC or EC1)
- OEM driver rigger qualifications an advantage (e.g. Grove, GMK, Franna, Manitowoc and Manitou).
Experience & Skills:
- At least 4 years of crane operating and rigging experience preferably in a mining environment or similar
- Experience with grove mobile crane, jlg work platforms, tele manitou, maniscopic tele handlers, etc. an advantage
- Able to read and complete a routine rigging study as required
- Analytical skills to perform lift calculation, eg: boom length, boom radius, boom angle and basic load mass determination
- Experience in the selection and configuration of all lifting equipment to ensure that the equipment is correctly selected to move loads according to weight and size
- Must also know how to choose, attach and use appropriate rigging equipment, slings shackles, chains, eye bolts and all related lifting gear
- Analytical skills to perform basic lift calculations. Demonstrable ability to read and understand a load chart of a lifting machine (mobile crane)
- Experience in hoisting crew members and materials and maneuvered in a safe and proficient manner by performing site surveys, task analysis, critical lifts when required
- Must have demonstrable experience in communicating well with others when handling any material and taking directions from dogman with regards to rigging or crane operations
- Perform operator level maintenance on assigned crane, rigging components
- Safely lift large heavy loads, such as equipment or construction materials.
- Be able to do so without damaging the load they are moving, property or personnel
- Team Player
- High Energy Level
- Fast learner
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to work independently
- Highly safety conscious
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: