Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identify is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as part of our staff and as partner’s people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and commitment to serving those in need. Since 2000 CRS Zambia has been implementing a number of programs to support vulnerable Zambians. Its recent programming areas include: nutrition, agriculture, food security, HIV/AIDS, WASH, financial inclusion, and early child development.
You will help coordinate and support the execution of the Country Program (CP) HR strategy and operational plans in support of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You will provide responsive, high quality service to address HR programs, services and operations needs in all the areas of recruitment, staff development, performance management, employee relations, compensation and benefits, onboarding/orientation, policies, staff care, and employee administration.
- Provide support to the Senior Human Resources Officer or Head of Operations in his/her responsibilities regarding the overall management of HR programs and services in the CP.
- Help coordinate and support HR processes, activities, and service delivery, to ensure they meet latest agency, donor, and local legal requirements and standards and reflect best practices.
- Assess service needs and provide quality process services and advice to support managers in their daily staff management responsibilities.
- Collect and organize input on HR processes and policies and participate in the review and update of various systems, manuals, guidelines, and tools.
- Support professional development needs assessment and help ensure the provision of precise development programs for CRS staff and partners
- Maintain record keeping through personnel files and/or Human Resources Information System (HRIS) that adheres to required CRS, donor, and local law regulations. As needed provide support on analytical reports on HR-related data, metrics and trends to support decision-making, workforce planning and development.
- Processing of National Staff payroll (Dove Payroll System).
- In collaboration with Finance, review all salary deductions and inform affected staff accordingly.
- Ensuring that all payroll inputs and changes and accompanying reports are done with the highest level of accuracy.
- Ensuring that payroll and accompanying Core Business Unit (CBU) reports are checked by the relevant Managers and approved by the Country Representative (CR) before the salaries are uploaded for payment.
- Ensuring timely payments of PAYE, NAPSA and other lawful deductions every month.
- Ensuring timely preparation of accurate terminal and related benefit reports and submit to Finance Department monthly for review and posting.
- Ensuring submission of an accurate and reviewed cost allocation report to the Administration Manager monthly.
- Ensuring accurate and timely preparation of all gratuity payments upon receipt of the approved severance report.
- Prepare Workers Compensation payments by first of April every year.
- Responsible for timely preparation of staff payment in case of separation.
- Maintain an up to date leave tracking spread sheet that includes the leave carried over from the previous year, accrued leave per month, leave taken as well as current leave balances.
- Ensuring that leave balances are always up to date in payroll.
- Preparing monthly leave reports for analysis and decision making.
- Serve as Liaison officer for health insurance, performing administrative functions of health insurance.
- Assisting staff with claims and attending to queries.
- Reconcile the CRS member list with the health provider list and prepare payments for Quarterly premiums
- Recruitment: short listing and coordination of interviews and orientation schedules and appointments and ensure all reference checks and Patriot Acts are done for all new hires.
- Scope: Not Applicable
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management or any relevant Social Sciences.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ work experience in HR, preferably with an International NGO.
- Experience with and knowledge of employment laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts, and practices.
- Good understanding of the local labor law.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, HRIS.
- Membership of the Zambia Institute of Human Resources Management (ZIHRM).
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Strong skill in payroll (Dove payroll)
- Strong customer service ethic and abilities
- Very good planning, coordinating, and organizing skills
- Able to maintain confidential information
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Required/Desired Foreign Language
- Good English both spoken and written.
- Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable)
- TBD based on CP’s context and needs
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: Senior Human Resources Officer and Head of Operations
- Internal: All employees
- External: Vendors
- Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Note: By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, and curriculum vitae which should include three references to: Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.