JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is seeking qualified candidates for a senior-level communications and knowledge management specialist that brings proven experience in communications, dissemination of information, excellent writing ability, and familiarity with the international NGO sector. for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-supported District Coverage of Health Services (USAID DISCOVER-Health) Project. The five-year project, which is led by JSI in collaboration with the Palladium Group, supports the efficient and effective control of the HIV epidemic, malaria, childhood illnesses, and unplanned pregnancies in order to reduce associated morbidity and mortality. The USAID DISCOVER-Health vision is to improve the lives of Zambians by ensuring equitable access to and use of high-quality health services and products at the district and community levels. Working towards this vision, USAID DISCOVER-Health develops and helps sustain a health model that maximizes the relative strengths of the public and private (commercial and non-commercial) sectors, to deliver health products and services that reach all beneficiaries and consumer markets. Through a market-based approach, USAID DISCOVER-Health will serve as a strategic partner and steward to the Government of the Republic of Zambia at national, provincial, and district levels in ensuring a conducive policy environment for a total market approach in service and product delivery; conducting and using market-based research to define market segments so that messages, services, and products can be appropriately targeted; and developing partnerships among and between various sectors to help grow and sustain the overall health market in Zambia and reach underserved populations and areas. JSI is recruiting for the following positions:
Position Type: Full Time
This position is open to both Zambian nationals and international candidates. The position is based in Lusaka, Zambia and will report directly to the Project Director.
The Communications and Knowledge Management (KM) Adviser will serve in a leadership role, handling the project’s overarching communication and knowledge management needs. The Adviser will focus on coordinating communications efforts for the project and work with key project staff to help effectively communicate results and achievements to donors, global audiences, and Zambian stakeholders such as the Ministry of Health, health managers at the provincial level, and others.
The Communications and Knowledge Management Adviser oversees the design of a communication strategy for internal and external audiences to facilitate the accessibility of the work of the USAID DISCOVER-Health project and the promotion of services and products. She/he plays a critical role in ensuring all USAID DISCOVER-Health communication documents, tools and media serve the needs of the project, while enhancing the narrative of why and how USAID DISCOVER-Health adds value to health service provision in Zambia. Reporting to the Project Director, the Communications and Knowledge Management Adviser works collaboratively with project technical teams to ensure that project reporting requirements are fulfilled in a timely manner and to the required quality, including quarterly reports, best practices, and success stories.
- In collaboration with key program staff, develop and execute an overarching project communications strategy, which includes audience segmentation, key messages, and a robust monitoring and evaluation component
- Advise the Project Director and the senior leadership team on all aspects of the program’s communications efforts, ensuring the program is taking advantage of key communications opportunities and speaking with one voice when communicating externally.
- Work with key program staff to compile, write, and disseminate reports for the donor and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate the entire process of developing and completing these reports.
- Manage the full production cycle for communications products (print, digital, and audio/visual), including copy editing, layout/design, printing, and dissemination.
- Ensure all program-produced public communications and materials are branded correctly according to the USAID/DISCOVER-Health branding strategy and marking plan.
- Maintain an e-filing system/database that stores and tracks project documents and publications.
- Monitor and track communications-related deliverables to ensure timelines and schedules are well managed.
- Develop/write success stories, internal or external messaging/summaries about project implementation and activities, and/or other important communications and assist with the writing and compiling of formal project reports and deliverables.
- Coordinate with the JSI corporate communications offices (headquartered in Boston, MA) to ensure that project milestones are communicated on the corporate/global level for increased exposure for the project and the topic area.
- Manage communications-related consultants, when needed, to help implement the communications strategy in the areas of web design, media outreach, photography, videography, and publication design and layout.
- Advise on social media strategies to reach key audiences who use social media.
- Organise, produce, package, and disseminate project information (print, video, and electronic) in a timely manner to key audiences.
- Manage and coordinate project conferences and other events, with support from the finance and operations team.
- Manage and maintain media relations (for all forms of media) in Zambia.
- Lead daily monitoring, review and recording of USAID DISCOVER-Health media coverage and circulate as relevant.
- Maintain a communications/knowledge management contact list database for the project.
- Perform ad hoc task delegated within reason from time to time.
- Degree in communications, public health or a related field is required – an advanced degree in these subject areas is highly desirable and would be an advantage
- A minimum of five years of progressive experience in the area of information management;
- Experience working in the area communications for health services/commodities is preferred
- Design experience using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, or similar systems is highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to work with new technologies and social media platforms
- Excellent written and verbal English – strong writing and editing skills required
- Proven publication experience and skills required
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to manage timelines and to coordinate colleagues to ensure timelines are met
- A strong team player who is able to work independently
- Demonstrable organizational skills in a fast-paced environment with flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines is essential
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to travel frequently to provide technical support to the USAID DISCOVER-Health hub and outreach sites in both urban and rural communities.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: