Akros is a cutting edge organization that establishes data-driven systems to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the service delivery systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. Our technical emphasis leverages open-source technology for community-led development. Projects range from supporting national Health Information Systems strengthening, to malaria case detection via mobile phone, to using spatial intelligence to inform programs. The breadth of Akros’ projects has enabled our teams to establish working relationships at the sub-national and community levels in every province in Zambia (across nearly 40,000 villages) as well as at the central level in Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Guinea, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Thailand, and Zimbabwe. Akros staff members work with a broad range of donors, partners and stakeholders to pursue this mission, including USAID, Sightsavers, government officials and traditional leaders.
Akros is seeking a Senior Program Manager to manage and lead data collection and data transmission activities in Zambia. Since Akros programs constantly shift and grow, this Manager must be willing and able to quickly adapt to new programs and technologies. S/he will work under the oversight of Akros’ Zambia Country Director who is also based in Lusaka.
- Mange one or more Akros informatics programs, ensuring project activities are sufficient to achieve proposed outcomes; develop and validate alternate strategies if not.
- Monitor Akros staff contributing to the programs you are managing; detail responsibility and clear strategies for each officer to achieve contractual requirements and program objectives.
- Work with Informatics Officers to translate client needs into end-user requirements
- Develop collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, clients, key actors within provincial and central level MOH offices, and Akros staff members contributing to relevant programs.
- Identify technical assistance needs to achieve deliverables and ensure project success.
- Conduct routine field-visits with Surveillance Officers to monitor implementation efforts; provide field-based mentoring to harmonize Akros’ supervision approach.
- Monitor data to quickly identify data quality and implementation issues; backstop field staff to resolve issues and revise programmatic approaches to meet goals.
- Assist with indicator development, research framework and impact assessments as necessary.
- Appropriately escalate issues that require attention from the Akros Country Director or Technical Advisors in a timely manner.
- Ensure good coordination Akros’ programs.
- Ensure program efforts are aligned to approved budgets.
- Manage advance requests and ensure all expenditures are in line with set budgets. Accurately forecast expenditures.
- Produce routine client reports and contribute to work-planning and other contract deliverables.
- Closely manage sub-contracts to achieve deliverables.
- Contribute to technical concept development or other tasks as required to facilitate business development
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree (required) or Masters degree (preferred) in Public Health, Informatics, Monitoring and Evaluation or other related focus
- 8+ years in management positions, with at least two years managing international development programs that involved electronic data capture through mobile devices
- Ability to lead in a multicultural environment and motivate other staff to excel
- Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative. Candidate should be highly productive and internally motivated.
- Demonstrated ability to work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules
- Familiarity with DHIS2 database structure, Open Data Kit, Tableau, KoboToolBox, OpenMRS, ArcGIS, and/or Commcare a plus
- Experience leading technical software trainings and technical documentation a plus
- Experience in health informatics a plus
Location, Term and Travel:
This position is based in Lusaka, Zambia, is open to either international or local candidates, and will be for a period of 12 months beginning immediately. (Extensions may be available contingent upon performance and funding). The position will require about 20% travel to communities that benefit from Akros programs, either in rural Zambia or abroad.
How to Apply
Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply early. To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV with references to the email below:
with “Application: Senior Program Manager” as the email’s subject line.