First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Specific Job Responsibility:
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Installation of new electrical systems, replacement of old, faulty or redundant Electrical systems as per the Company and vendor’s safety and quality specifications.
- Electrical protection
- Ensure that all electrical equipment have the correct hardware interlock and safety parameter settings for effective and safe operations.
- Adhere to the companies planned and preventative maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Effectively maintain the electrical equipment with the minimum effect on the plant production.
- Reporting and record keeping.
- Report all incidents immediately to the Supervisor.
- Ensure that all Safety and substation logbooks are checked and signed according to the procedure.
- Ensure that stock levels of electrical equipment are maintained in the warehouse and report all defective or substandard equipment to your direct Supervisor.
- Maintain the correct and safe usage of all hand tools within your section
- Report all defective tools, record and control all replacement of tools.
- Training and development.
- Identify needs for specialised training requirements within your area.
- No person is allowed to operate any equipment without an official driving permit.
- Other duties.
- Any other duties as directed by the Direct Electrical Supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of overhead lines, and high voltage equipment
- Experience in Siemens, ABB, Schneider VSDs, soft starters and Simocode
- Experience and knowledge on ABB SF 6 Circuit breakers.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
- Ability to quickly adapt to technological changes in High voltage Electrical Maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Able to diagnose problems and potential problems.
- Certification of HV switching from MSD an added advantage.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
Key Job Attributes:
- Good Leadership qualities – Bolder, Smarter, Driven
- Participate and contribute in safe practice and environment awareness
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices
- Identification of potential hazards and ensuring appropriate action is taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise ,discuss and resolve safety issues at regular meetings
- Identify safety hazards and rectify/control.
- Adhere to and enforce all aspects of the company’s health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Access safety hazard reports and follow up on corrective actions.
- Run safety meeting /toolbox talks on a daily basis.
- le handle and KPI’s are achieved
- Assist electrical coordinator in planning of equipment maintenance.
- Ensuring that all tasks are carried out in safe and efficient of equipment manner, to assure maximum reliability and policies and procedures.
- Achieving results through prioritizing activities, monitoring the progress of assignments, holding oneself accountable for the results.
- Motivate yourself and others in overcoming obstacles and achieving goals.
- Planning & assisting in laying out of work on new project.
- Ensuring maximum plant availability at all times.
- A proven ability to work with other disciplines to achieve minimal disruption to plant operating times.
Experience required to perform in this job:
- Minimum Five years’ experience in a Mining environment working as an artisan.
- Knowledge of LV systems, MCC’s and protection.
- Knowledge of LV and MV Transformers.
- Knowledge of Electrical motors.
- Maintenance of Overhead cranes.
- Knowledge of variable speed drives, Soft starters and DOL starters.
- Good knowledge on the use of electrical measuring instruments.
- Reading electrical drawings.
- Computer literate.
- Experience on Power Distribution systems will be an advantage.
- Maintenance of generator / power Plants.
- Minimum of a Grade 12 Certificate
- Electrical Technologist or Craft Certificate
- Provincial Driving Permit for LV
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: