The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Consular Roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
To provide a high quality and efficient consular service to British nationals in Zambia in line with the standards set out in our publication “Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide” and Consular Strategy.
Roles and responsibilities:
- As Consular Assistant you will be responsible for providing consular assistance in Zambia. This may include: visiting people who have been arrested, are in prison or hospitalised; visiting mortuaries; supporting bereaved families and victims of crime, victims of sexual assault and dealing with cases involving child abduction. The successful candidate will also work closely with colleagues across the Sub-Saharan Africa network and in the UK in order to ensure excellent delivery and consistency of services. The candidate must be able and willing to engage on these challenging issues:
- Checking and processing applications for Emergency Travel Documents.
- Liaising with partners including local authorities, British companies, the tourism industry, airlines, wardens, consular correspondents, NGOs, other diplomatic missions etc.
- Delivering outreach and prevention activities which support our Consular Strategy objectives.
- Contributing to crisis planning and response in Zambia.
- Managing information, completing returns and other administrative tasks.
- The successful candidate must be prepared to work out of hours if required (see below on time of in lieu/overtime).
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- For many British nationals, the only contact they will ever have with a British mission will be through our consular services, often in times of great personal distress. As a customer-facing member of staff, the jobholder will need to have excellent communication skills and be able to deal with distressing situations in a sensitive manner and with empathy. The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate the following key skills and attributes:
- Excellent all-round communication skills to manage customer expectations and deliver difficult messages
- Excellent customer service skills; ability to respond to a range of customer needs and cultivate strong relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- Calmness under pressure
- Ability to research and follow guidelines, and to plan and prioritise effectively
- Ability to work well with others – to build and maintain relationships with customers and stakeholders
- Strong problem solving skills using own judgement
- Ability to respond quickly to changing priorities, sometimes in pressurised environments
- S/he should be prepared to react positively to change and ready to try new ways of working
- Excellent IT and numeracy skills (a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook is essential.
- Experience working in a British or international environment is also desireable.
Leading and Communicating, Building Capability for All, Managing a Quality Service, Demonstrating Resilience
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website: