First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do. In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents. With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world. This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function. The position covers mainly the areas below and other areas as instructed by the line Manager Low Voltage Motors, 6.6kV/525V Transformers, Cranes, Lighting Transformers, Lighting, Earthing, Fire Protection/Suppression and Substations (on Switchgears only except Protections) at:
- Matte Settling Electric Furnace
- Converter Furnace
- Anode Furnace and Casting Wheel
- Filter Plant
- Acid Plant
- Oxygen Plant
- Diesel and HFO
- Raw and Fire Water Pond
- LP Blowers
- Infrastructure Buildings
- Office Buildings
- Smelter Environmental and Safety
- Canteen or Mess Hall
- Work Shop
- Material Receipts Area
- Supervise installation activities and coordinate with operation for any improvements in electrical department for safe execution.
- Determines the critical spare parts for the equipment under him and monitors the stock inventory at safe level in order to ensure availability at all times.
- Helps prepare operating plans, budgets and capital expenditure proposals to maintain and improve operation of the plant.
- Prepares and estimates materials, tools, equipment, consumables, spare parts and manpower requirements necessary to execute projects received from either operations or from all other discipline in coordination with the planning section of Smelter Department.
- Oversee and Monitor the planning and execution of the section resources for smelter project implementation.
- Evaluates outgoing purchase requisitions and communications
- Manage resources to ensure strict adherence to sound management principles for the effective and efficient execution of project activities to achieve lowest practically achievable cost.
- Continuously monitor and manage the section resources for strict adherence to the relevant engineering standards and specifications and execute appropriate actions for non-compliance
- Through effective leadership/mentorship cultivate, nurture and foster an enabling and continuous improvement climate/culture in the section
- Help manage the sections costs to achieve the maximum business benefit.
- Manage the human resources in the section in a manner that will ensure that the business objectives are met with minimum labor turnover
- Ensure that good work ethics is sustained by effectively managing discipline with reference to absenteeism, lateness, overtime, misconduct, etc. within the section.
- Minimum of a Degree or Diploma in Electrical, or equivalent appropriate experience
- Qualification in the Electrical Field
- HT Switching Authorized will be an Advantage
- Preference will be given for experience in installation orLow Voltage Motors, Transformers, Cranes, Lightings, Earthings, Fire Protections/Suppressions and Substations (on Switchgears only except Protections)
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience and exposure in an Electrical Supervisory position or Senior supervisor level in a Pyromettalurgical Mineral processing environment.
- Extensive installation experience with :
- LV/LT Motor Control Centers or Switchgears, Fire Protections/Suppression System, Earthings, Lightings, OHTCranes
- Electric Motors
- Cable jointing, termination and fault finding capabilities
- Reading Electrical drawings (Schematic and Single Line Diagrams)
- LT/LV switching and control systems
- Excellent knowledge of Low Voltage systems and MCC’s complete with protections as well.
- Excellent Knowledge of LV transformers and motors
- LV cable jointing
- Exceptional skills in field Electrical maintenance, fault-finding and troubleshooting.
- Must be capable of reading electrical drawings.
- Experience in 33/6.6kv cable termination is an added preference
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Very good communicator with strong skills/knowledge ability
- Excellent Computer Literacy
- Overtime and standby work when required
- Fluency in English
- Depth perception
- Colour distinction
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: