First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legislative requirements pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Conduct routine, ad hoc and industrial hygiene monitoring surveys and evaluate occupational hazards in the workplace to ensure compliance with relevant national and international standards, practices and legislation.
- Conduct comprehensive industrial hygiene surveys and both qualitative and quantitative risk assessments in the work place so as to evaluate employee exposure profiles.
- Accurately measure and sample employee exposure levels through precise use of industrial hygiene instruments and equipment.
- Accurately monitor adherence to industrial hygiene procedures in the workplace.
- Recommend effective remedies or controls for the various occupational health hazards.
- Produce user-friendly internal reports and other statistical information for updating existing industrial hygiene register and data bank.
- Work as a reliable team member to meet industrial hygiene and occupational health and safety objectives.
- Keep up to date with relevant scientific and legal developments related to industrial hygiene and occupational health.
- Carry out gas testing for entry into a confined space to ensure safety of occupants.
- Adhere to all safety and health regulations, rules, guidelines and instructions to avoid any incidents/accidents.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by any superior official of the company.
- Minimum Education: Grade 12 Certificate
- Professional Qualification: Minimum Diploma in a field related to Industrial Hygiene (from a recognised learning institution).
- Knowledge of NIOSH/ACGIH/OSHA industrial hygiene sampling methods is added advantage.
- Must be Holder of a valid driving licence.
- Capability to drive in the pits is added advantage.
- Minimum of 1 year industrial hygiene practice.
- Behavioural Traits
- Innovative and exemplary
- Problem solving skills
- Communication skills
- Must be able to work under minimum supervision.
- Must be able to prioritize and plan work schedules effectively.
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to provide solutions to challenges
- High level of Integrity
- Good communication and effective listening skills
- Team player
- Go the extra mile with customers and peers
- Physical: Must be fit to manoeuvre around the mine licence areas i.e. Open Pits, concentrator, smelter and tailings
- Computational: Competent in use of Microsoft office programmes such as excel, word, power point etc.
- Written: Must be able to produce good quality internal reports.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and application on company website: